Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 small block emissions equipment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Sep 18, 2001.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey 82 guys,
    What emissions equipment am i supposed to have ? I know that i should have a cat and an egr, but is that about it ? I believe no air pump or no air tubes. I have flowtech full length headers on now. will these hurt my emissions really bad or what ? Here in Missouri they don't really inspect too much if you can pass a sniffer test. so if i have dual cats (not legal either) and an egr valve i should be able to pass ??? does an egr valve even do that much to affect emissions ? where does that line plug into for an 82 ? my manifold doesn't even have a spot for one right now.(older engine) I plan on getting an edelbrock egr manifold soon. thanks.
    blake

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Funny this question should come up... I've inspected my ENTIRE emissions control system in the last couple weeks at least ten times due to 1) Failing the emissions test, 2) Part throttle pinging I can't seem to shake as of yet and 3) Minor driveability issues. The emissions control equipment that I can recall off hand (someone feel free to fill in the blanks if I miss anything) is as follows : EGR valve and bleed solenoid, AIR injection pump (those long tubes might need to be replaced with stockers or bungs welded in for the lines), decel valve, vapor canister, PCV ( I assume this already exists), EFE valve (on exhaust manifold) and a couple thermal vacuum switches (TVS) one for coolant temp, the other for manifold mixture temp. I think that's all; I'm not currently looking at my underhood placard ( if yours is there, it should say the same as mine).
    The function of the EGR, as I understand it, is to recirculate a portion of the exhaust gases under load only (inop at idle) to cool down the intake charge and to dilute the mixture to prevent the formation of NOx. That pollutant is tested for here in Phoenix, so it's important on my truck, don't know about where you are. Hope that helps!

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

3. ColAdo82K5

hey,
    my emissions sticker is long gone but i've looked at one briefly at a junkyard and i would swear that no air pump was there for the 82 1/2 ton truck and i assumed it would be the same for a blazer. also, edelbrock headers only go as old as 83 for air tubes for the K5, so i thought that meant no air tubes/no pump for the 82 ?????
    blake

4. Burbinator

I know mine has it (AIR pump) and my engine is total stock, aside from the Edelbrock Q-Jet so yours should be identical, I would think. I can take a digital picture on hi-res of my emissions placard, if you'd like.

- Alan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

5. ColAdo82K5

hey alan,
    that would be awesome if you could send that picture my way. please send it to ado84@aol.com. thanks alot man.
    blake

6. Burbinator

Not a problem, glad I could help out. I'll send it to you when I get home from work tomorrow, as my camera is at my office.

- Alan

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've got the pump/tubes etc on my 82. Ended up changing the engine out just to get it to pass the smog test.

Smitty

8. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

My 82 had all the stuff Burbinator had listed at one time.But it all vanished one day.

A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.. [​IMG]

9. ColAdo82K5

Hey,
    Do you guys know any reason that those 83-87 edelbrock headers wouldn't work for the 82 then ? Any cheaper headers out there besides the edelbrocks ? i know of the high quality but i also know of the high price !
    Blake
    Anybody wanna trade headers ? !!

10. Burbinator

OK...took a couple of pics, but it's a little too dark outside to get a pic that you can read. Shop light just makes it glare. First thing in the morning, I'll snap a couple in the daylight and send them off to you. Sorry for the delay.
    About your headers : you could potentially keep your existing headers and drill holes and weld some 3/8 bungs in the tubes near the head flange to accept the air injection lines. I've never tried it, but I've heard about it being done. Perhaps someone here has?

- Alan

11. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Go buy the Chilton 1969-82 Blazer manual. It has over 130 diagrams of stock hose routing diagrams. Actually I have a pic of my own concotion that is simplified but still use the evap canister, PCV, manifold heated air and vacuum advance. No EGR though because we don't get tested up here and my manifold doesnt have one. Try the link below.

http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

13. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

what state?area they are all different. in my area if the truck has under 5,000 miles, it is exempt, and i found where the speedo cable goes to the t case....... put two and two together and it comes up less than 5,000. get my drift?

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.
    http://www.torkpig.homestead.com

14. Burbinator

GRRRRR! My reader at home for my camera's memory card is not working for some reason. I have a backup at work. I haven't forgot about you and I'll get that pic to you ASAP. Sorry about the delay.

- Alan

15. Burbinator

Email and pic of placard on its way!

- Alan