Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

82 with only two headlights, hmmmmmm

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, May 10, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok whats up with 82 year and the headlights ? all 81 and 82 trucks i ever seen always been quad headlights, well a buddy of mine picked up a sharp 82 k10 longfleet 6.2L pickup a few days ago and its only got two headlights

thats crazy...
    its a custom deluxe just like my 81 is and its got four just like all other 81 and 82 have that i have ever seen

what happened ? it doesnt have tilt or a/c but did come with 700r4 though
    is third 81 or 82 ive ever seen to date with no a/c, thats rare, one is around the block from here totally redone, reassembled and repainted and customized in recent months(welded up taillights and stuff)

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, the dual headlights were standard and the quad headlights were optional.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, the quad headlights were an extra-cost option. But I think they were "included" in the Silverado package. Base trucks got the 2-light setup. You'll see them most often on former fleet rigs.

4. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Mine is a Custom DeLuxe,and it has single headlights too.Dual Headlights,Stereo Radio,Interior trim etc are for the Silverados,Scottdale etc.For the beautiful people /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    We are the poors of the forum.... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

My Scottsdale has the dual headlight setup. Maybe the quad setup was an option on the Scottsdale?

Jon

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Consider yourself somewhat lucky, I have the Sierra Classic, with all the fancy stuff...20 year old electric windows are slow, and expensive to replace! My driver side one locks up now and then too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    Mine has electric windows too,and they works fine!If you can, replace them .Is a blast when the windows start to give troubles.
    In this page you can see all the GM trucks catalogs and the years options.Is made by a forum member(I don´t remember his nick) Is a great page:
    www.slosh.com/cars/brouchures

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok so quads came with silverado YE9 and not with scottsdale or custom deluxe, etc, interesting

the 81 that is around on other side of the block that a guy has i know of is a non a/c and is dual headlights so that tells me that its not silverado then, it didnt have any interior plastic trims and stuff before he restored it,

this all means that my 81 custom deluxe is lucky to have quads and the 82 k10 scottsdale that buddy of mine just got is unlucky with just dual lights

thats cool, leanred something new about the 81 and 82's !
    now im gonna be finding myself looking at ALL the 81 and 82 trucks i see just to see what headlights and badges its got, my challenge is to find a silverado with dual lights but it sounds like that never was built from factory hehe

thanks!

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

I,m going to install the Silverado interior trim in my "nude" Custom deluxe interior.I,ve got all the plastic trim.Now i need to find the way to get a headliner.Ship one of these from USA to Spain is very expensive.
    I,ll also have to try to make myself the rear bed sides panels.
    And i hate this kind of works! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I almost bought an 86 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 with everything. The only thing it didn't have was quad headlights and rear speakers. There were no signs of the speakers ever being there (no screw holes). Weird, eh?

My 84 Scottsdale came with the "deluxe front appearance" aka quad headlights.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

trim packages and that kinda of stuff are weird. My 86 Scottsdale had quad headlights, AC, but manual locks, windows, no headliner and a rubber floor mat seems to me that was the middle of the line in luxury, now I got a "loaded" truck and i cant stand half the stuff. That damned headliner is going by by soon

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ok so quads came with silverado YE9 and not with scottsdale or custom deluxe, etc, interesting

the 81 that is around on other side of the block that a guy has i know of is a non a/c and is dual headlights so that tells me that its not silverado then, it didnt have any interior plastic trims and stuff before he restored it,

this all means that my 81 custom deluxe is lucky to have quads and the 82 k10 scottsdale that buddy of mine just got is unlucky with just dual lights

thats cool, leanred something new about the 81 and 82's !
    now im gonna be finding myself looking at ALL the 81 and 82 trucks i see just to see what headlights and badges its got, my challenge is to find a silverado with dual lights but it sounds like that never was built from factory hehe

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not quite finished just yet.

'81 and '82 were kind of like "mixed up" years. I have seen Custom Deluxes and Scottsdales with BOTH the dual and quad headlights. I also agree that they were customer options.

I had an '82 K30 Custom Deluxe, plain Jane truck with quad headlights. I also had an '84 K30 Scottsdale with quad healights, too.

Then there was another different K30 I had, an '82 Silverado with NO power windows, locks, A/C, and it also had dual headlights. Yeah, I know, I checked the RPO and it did confirm the above statements were true.

So, just because they are a certain trim level will NOT guarantee a dual or quad setup. They were all customer options. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I just put my truck's RPO codes up on my website. My RPO sticker was on the top of my left front fenderwell and when I changed inner wheelwells I cut it out and put it in the filing cabinet.

I believe V22 is the RPO GM used for quad headlights. If we can get people to check their quad and non-quad vehicles we can find out if this is true.

EDIT:
    I found my 77C20's RPO sticker too. I knew I saved it before I torched the truck but I couldn't find it.

http://www.wrath.com/4x4/84k10rpo.txt
    http://www.wrath.com/4x4/87c20rpo.txt

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe V22 is the RPO GM used for quad headlights.

[/ QUOTE ]

V22 is the RPO for the chrome grille in '85/86, would be willing to bet '81-87 are all the same in that respect. Can't find the headlight bezels in the '85/86 parts manual, but I'd also bet they are different if V22 or not.

YE9 is the code for Silverado package, and what I suspect is, YE9 forced the quad headlights on you (at least certain years), while if you didn't get YE9, V22 was something you had to order in addition to whatever trim level the vehicle had. (Say you ordered a custom deluxe, you'd have to add V22 to get the quad headlights) If not, all RPO tags would reflect V22 regardless if Silverado or not, if equipped with 4 headlights, and I don't believe that is the case.

But, getting back to at least the 81/82's, I'm sure I've seen non-quad chrome headlight bezels. Meaning V22 those years (if V22 was chrome grill then as well) only decided if the grille and bezels were chrome, but something else (either RPO or body trim) determined quad headlights or not when you ordered chrome grilles.

Don't think I helped a bit /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my buddy;s 82 non-silverado with the dual lights has lafger than normal rectangle lights i noticed today, it has the larger ones like on the 80s el caminos and s-10s etc. it has chrome bezels around them so yes chrome dual lights bezels did exist in at least 82 i know, my 81 non-silverado quad lights truck has no v22 code, has nothing special cept tilt and a/c and cruise and wierd smooth wool or cotton-like carpeting

this is starting to be an interesting thread, no one seems to be so sure now about headlights in 81 and 82 hmm...

16. dyeager535

Friend has an '83 C30 Custom Deluxe, and it has the dual headlights. The bezels are indeed different, as the parking light/turn signal and headlight are different sizes, as opposed to the quad headlight system where all 4 lights are the same, and the parking lights are mounted in the grille.

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

parking turns are in grille 83 and up, 81 82 is what we are talking about, 83 up is a whole different deal as far as grille and bumper go, i dunno if rad supports changed anytime after 81 or not, anyone know ? are there different supports depending on if with quads or duals ?

18. dyeager535

Yes the supports are different.

Quads have 4 even cutouts for each lamp, duals have either two cutouts, one for each lamp, or one large/one small for lamp/turn signal/marker, can't recall.

My point mentioning the '83 is, if you got single headlights '81/82, what did they do for the headlight bezels? Were those the "goofy" style that have a headlight, and where on the later trucks the turn signal or high beam headlight would be, it was an "extension" of the grille pattern? Were there only two headlight bezels '81/82, quad or dual headlights, or were there more than one dual headlight bezel, perhaps adding a parking light (not the turn signal) below the headlight or something?

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the dual light 81 82 trucks have same size headlights just like the 83-up ceot turn sig is not in grille like in 83-up, at least my buddy's 82 with duals does anyways. has larger headlights and full chrome front grille and grille plates where lower lights or turn signals would be in grille

from what i have gathered and from what i have seen around here, about 95% of all 81 and 82 have quad lights

i assume that the 83 up dual bezels are same as the 81 82 dual ones since the headlights are same style larger ones

20. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

ok, here goes:
    81-82 grilles were either argent or "chrome", the quad head lights were options on all but silverado, which then they were standard. turn lights were in the bumpers on all models. the space below the headlight on the dual setups was an extension of the grill pattern.
    83-84 basically the same as 81-82, but the turn lights were below the headlights in the dual system, and in the grille on the quad setup.
    85-87 same as 83-84, but with a slightly different grille.
    88-91 the grilles changed to match the new trucks. the dual light system had large headlights with the turn light below the headlight. the quad setup had two small headlights side by side with the turn lights below. all grilles were chrome except on the base model, fleet type rigs.
    radiator supports differed between the setups as well as the wiring for the headlights, so those with duals are kinda stuck unless they like headaches.

gawd, i sound like a nerd. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

mountain bikers rule!
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif