Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

8274 conversation?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Sep 28, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I have seen 8274s last a long long time on something smaller like a Jeep. But, has anyone used one on a Blazer, which is over taxing what this winch is rated for. Now serious winching not up a little dinky hill. Serious hard abuse and use.

How would it hold up say compared to a 12000lb.

If you snatch block an 8274, you get the same strength as a 12000, plus more. And you still will have abot the same speed. Plus, without it doubled you have a much faster line speed. Good for pulling out the little Jeeps. These are my thoughts...

Comments?

Thanks
    Ken H.

'78 K5 in process

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

My thoughts are that I've seen the 8274 on fullsizes do very well. And with the snatch block and a 150 ft line, you've still got 75' to work with at 16,000 pounds. That's what I want to find for my truck, it's a real world tested good winch, and you can find them used pretty reasonable.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

"you can find them used pretty reasonable..."

yeah no kidding!! My buddy (TorkDSR) and myself got a tip on some lady that wanted to get rid of a dodge ramcharger that had been sitting for a while. No money, just Take it , she said. We knew it had a winch, but when we got it home and cleaned off the grime, Lo and behold, there was an 8274 !!!! needed one solenoid replaced and it workes like a charm!! THAT is finding a used winch pretty reasonable.

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I have used two for over 20 years. The first one was with the hand brake, and Warn was in the Seattle area,
    that's like 1974+/- . I got it used in like 1977, and used it on my 73 Balzer till about 1993, it must have been
    a good one, cuase it has pulled more than one fullsize at a time(one radiatior went, one axle broke, one flat tire)
    granted it was in the mud/water, it pulled three out at one time. It had a unusual motor to me, but I was able to
    get and replace the brushes in like 1988+/- . The one I have now is getting old, but I also got this one used, and
    have only changed the oil once since 1993. I am new to rock crawl'n, and sometimes this winch seams to fast!
    My best recommendation is to keep the motor cool if you can, heat is a killer. Also the motor really likes voltage
    any thing below 12.0 V and the current and heat build fast.
    I have seen them losse the selinods, usually do to running the winch for to long, they are a light duty whinch, they are not designed to run for long periods of time.

Adding, I was hoping you where going to let us how to convert to the new 4.6 HP Motor !<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Executioner on 09/28/01 01:38 PM.</FONT></P>