Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'83 4X4 Burb- What tcase? Rear?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wforicv, May 9, 2005.

1. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

My Blazer is down due to broken rear and busted transfer case. I found a 1983 Burb for parts. Have yet to see it, but the guy says that it has 4 speed and a 14 bolt rear and 8 lug 10 bolt front. I can get this thing super cheap. It had 127K on it when the motor went. I know nothing about Burbs, did they come with 14 Bolts? What transfer case will be mated to the SM465? Hopefully, I found a score and can knock a few items off my "wish list" with one stop. Thanks for the help.

2. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Did a little digging and it looks like it would have the NP208. That's not good.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Yup, the NP208 and a 14 bolt semifloater rear axle.

4. raysride

raysride Registered Member

Cant help but ask what is wrong with the NP208? I just bought a truck equiped with one behind a 700r4? :confused:

5. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

raysride

They are aluminum and chain driven. It has a slip yoke and you can not get a slip yoke eliminator kit for it. It does have a very desirable gear ratio, but is just not as beefy as some others. I want to go with a NP205 cast iron gear driven unit. 205's are considered bomb proof. My current 208 is toast (have yet to tear it down and find out what it going on). Here is a link to a transfer case guide that will help you out:

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/facts/trans/trans.htm

6. raysride

Awsome post with that info chart inserted like that. I think I will print that out for good. Thank you very much. :)

7. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

raysride

Glad that helped. Try this one for the NP205. You will see why they are so popular around here.

8. raysride

There was no link to click but I have read so much about the 205 and that is what really prompted me to find out what I had. Matter of fact the magazine I was reading said that before a rock crushed a 205 the 205 would crush the rock. I think it was 4 Wheeler mag. Thanks for all the help from everyone with my question and I am sorry to jump the original poster with my question. :(