Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'83 and '91 mounting differences

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nofeartruckin00, Feb 4, 2004.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

\'83 and \'91 mounting differences

Alright, I'm looking at major or minor snags I will catch when swapping motor, tranny, transfer case, and springs from a '91 to an '83 k5. I know the wiring harness is going to be different, and will probably have to swap the entire thing to the '83 for all the TBI stuff.

As far as the frame goes, will I catch any snags like np241 crossmember doesn't directly bolt to '83 frame, or the spring bushings will need a different sized bolt than the '91 did? I'm pretty sure the gas tank will have to be swapped, but not sure about anything else.

Any info you have is greatly appreciated!!!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: \'83 and \'91 mounting differences

It's a PITA, but since you apparently have the donor on hand, I say take all wiring out of the '91 (interior and exterior) and put it in the '83. Stuff like VSS, DRAC, Speedo cluster, TBI leads from fuse panel, ALDL, and so on are just going to be simpler to leave intact, and swap complete. Both sides of the fuse panel are different anyways (interior and exterior, since the engine side firewall plug is different than earlier ones) so you either spend time spent cutting, soldering, and tracing wires, or spend time removing the old harness and installing the newer one.

Gas tank yes, all fuel lines, etc.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Now that I think about it, can you just grab the entire frame with running gear out of the '91? That would make a lot of things easier for you I believe.

Still easy enough to swap things over, it's just time consuming. You wouldn't have toworry about the fuel lines, tank, springs, tranny crossmember mounting points (just need to be redrilled, at worst, on your '83) and the wiring stuff frame-wise could stay in place.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif What are you doing, Tony! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

That sounds like one heck of a project. Run into problems with lifting your '91? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. nofeartruckin00

Hmmm.... sounds painfully time consuming. Yes I have a running '91 that was a DD until the rust (and a little incident at the sand dunes) took out the channels that support the floor/body. I could just swap bodies, but I really wanted to use the '83 frame too because it is rust free. Thanks for all the help!

6. nofeartruckin00

Let's say I would be happy if my little portion of wisconsin brought back regular road salt, because I HATE THAT CALCIUM CHLORIDE STUFF!!!! Whatever that junk they have been using for the last 2 or so years on the roads has eaten anything metal. The floor is shot, those U shaped channels that support the rear of the body and anywhere under the floor are just about missing. Just about anything from the body trim line down is swiss cheese. The lift won't swap with wrenches, its all sawzall work. I'm just not convinced that spending time welding and repairing the body I have will hold up offroad.

There is an offer I can't refuse on a texas frame/body/axles so I really want to swap into that one. I would paint the frame about 1/2" thick with POR15 to hold back the salt for 3 maybe 4 years. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif It sounds like a TON of work, but I don't know what other options I have. Did I ever mention I hate road salt? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. nofeartruckin00

Alright, what about motor mounts? I think they '83 had a diesel, will the 350's mounts bolt up the same?