Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

83 chevy 3/4 ton - 8 lug axles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 | Suburban | Truck' started by 83k5blzrbob, Oct 23, 2007.

1. 83k5blzrbob

83k5blzrbob Registered Member

I have a line on a pair of front and rear 3/4 ton axles with 4:10 gears out of a chevy truck. Would these be a direct replacement for the current 1/2 ton axles that came in my 83 blazer?

My blazer originally had a 350 / 700R4 / NP208 / and corporate 10 bolts front and rear with 3:42's. I am looking to run 35" tires once the blazer is completed.

What, if anything, would I need to change to run the 3/4 ton axles?

Last question - any cons to running the heavier axles?

Thanks for the advice,

2. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you'll need a conversion rear u-joint and 8 lug wheels. some changes may be necessary for the e-brake.

3. 3/4 Ton Blazer

3/4 Ton Blazer 1/2 ton status

The e-brake cable change is pre and post '84 I believe, so if your truck is later than 84, then you will probably have to get new brake cables.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I think it was 81 and up, the dash changed in 84:D

5. 3/4 Ton Blazer

3/4 Ton Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was just researching this for my axle swap, and all of the parts places that I looked at online had the same part number up to '83, and the '84-'87(-'91) had the same part number.

6. 83k5blzrbob

All, thanks for the information. I was planning on replacing the current e-brake cables since they are frayed and was looking to update to the 84 and up style. I think they run along side the rocker on the driver side instead of being separated and supported by hangers form the trans on back.

I'm doing a frame off restoration and the truck will most likely only see light wheeling, does it make sense to change over to 3/4 ton running gear? It's the 4:10's, and the price, that's pushing me in the direction of the axles. Will I be limited on wheel selection?

Yzeater, what exactly is a conversion joint?

7. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status Premium Member

it allows 2 different sized yokes to be mated together.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

going 3/4 ton to get the 4.10 ratio will be cheaper for you, and it's better stronger.
    Wheel selection shouln't be a problem, if you want to go 15" and you want deep backspacing you might need to grind slightly on the calipers otherwise everything should work on the 3/4 tons.
    As for the conversion U joint, you could bypass that and get a 1350 yoke for your Tcase and run a 1350 driveshaft, might be more expensive than the conversion U joint but you can get a better Ujoint and it will be a stock U joint that you can get at any store in cse of a failiure.

9. 83k5blzrbob

Alright. looks like 3/4 tons it is. I'm planning to go look at the axles this weekend and if the're good, I will have some additional work ahead of me. Also I may have some 10 bolts for sale if it works out.

Thanks for the information, I hope I can return the favor sometime.