Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'83 ESC module woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JIMS_WYO_K5, May 6, 2001.

1. JIMS_WYO_K5

JIMS_WYO_K5 Newbie

\'83 ESC module woes

I have been fighting with this esc module in my rig for 3 years off and on. It has a hairline crack somewhere on the pcb inside. Most mornings the engine just cranks but won't start.
    One quick rap to the esc box and away it goes. It is definately the box and I've tried resoldering the components and it has gotten better but still is a pain in the butt. Has anyone ever tried bypassing the box altogether? I fully understand why it is there and what it does but I am planning a swap to a 350 this fall and it does not have the esc wiring on the distributor nor the knock sensor on the block. If anyone knows a "jumper" for the box or a place a guy can view the wiring online, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!
    I have scoured the internet but have found ziltch on it. Thanks in advance.

Jim from WY

2. 85Blazer

85Blazer Registered Member

Re: \'83 ESC module woes

I have an 85 Blazer and I'm currently running with the ESC bypassed. I don't know if it is the same as yours or not but jumper pins A and C together on the connector towards the distributor. It will start if its correct. There is an article somewhere on the net about removeing the ESC. I printed it out and have it somewhere. Let me know if you are interested.

3. JIMS_WYO_K5

JIMS_WYO_K5 Newbie

It doesn't sound like they are the same I'm afraid. My ESC box is mounted behind the glovebox on the firewall inside the cab. I would be interested in looking at that diagram if you can remember the URL to it. Thanks for the reply.

Jim

4. 85Blazer

85Blazer Registered Member

It sounds like we have the same module. I've found the article and scaned it to a word file. I'll send it to you privately. If anyone else is interested let me know.

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Not sure what an esc box is but I got tired of replacing modules and pickups and stuff> I bought a new dist.I noticed it only had a 3 pin connector when I got it home. I hooked it up anyway and its run like a top ever since(aside from vacuum woes) Been almost 4 years without even a hiccup.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim