Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

83 Jimmy tailgate help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seanp, Sep 4, 2003.

1. seanp

seanp Registered Member

I just bought a 83 Jimmy and the tailgate won't open. There also is a rattling sound that seems to come from the tailgate. The rear window rolls up and down fine. But how am i supposed to find out what the rattling sound is if i can't get the tailgate down? Is there some sort of trick or is mine broken?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Take the cover off the inside of the gate. Find the two thin long rods going to each side and pull them inwards. The gate should unlatch.

Once it's down you can get a better look at the latching/handle mechanism and see what's up.

rene

3. seanp

seanp Registered Member

I finally got the tailgate open. I also adjusted the striker plates and that snugged up the tailgate but the rattling is still there. When i took off the access plate there were old dried up pieces of foam laying in there. I think the foam was keeping things from touching and rattling but their worthless now. Do you think that would help if i replaced those? Everything else looks fine inside there.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Foam is what "seals" the access panel to the gate to keep it quieter/less windy inside.

Leave the panel off and see if the noise goes away. Might be something else going on.

5. seanp

seanp Registered Member

I see what your talking about but that foam is still stuck to the access panel. Inside the gate was 3 foot long pieces of dried up foam. But maybe somebody added those thinking it would fix the rattling.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only foam I'm aware of is for the access panel.

You are probably right, added to try and fix the noise, instead of actually searching for the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are two vertical guides for the glass on each side of the gate inside. I'd look there for possible rattling. Either one of the tabs that allows it to be bolted in is broken and the guide is rattling or ???. The guides should also have felt in them...if it's worn to bare steel the window sash will rattle around in the guides whether it's up or down.

You just have to spend the time to get familiar with the guts in there and see what moves and how. Then see if anything looks amiss.

Rene