Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'83 K5 Engine advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GadgetK5, Nov 5, 2001.

1. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

\'83 K5 Engine advice

I've got an '83 K5 with a shot 350 and a 700R4 Trans. I'm upgrading the transmission to a 4L80-E (I’m building the transmission controller portion), and I’m not sure what route to go with the engine. My options are to rebuild the 350, or upgrade to the 454; I’m concerned with torque, but also want to watch my budget and the fuel economy.

Another factor is smog – I live in California, and this blazer hasn’t passed smog for about 5 years (I’ve only owned it for two). The stock electronic carburetor and distributor were replaced with earlier models (my guess is the 350 and the fixings were pulled from the junk yard some time in it’s past). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I’ll need to do to get either the 350 or the 454 to pass smog?

If you’re curious, my long-term plans for this Blazer include adding a Gear Vendor’s overdrive unit to the back of the transfer case, offering 8 forward gears (in 2WD), all with a programmable shifter, or using steering-wheel mounted paddles. There will also be an on-board computer that will control much of the functionality of the vehicle.

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: \'83 K5 Engine advice

If fuel mileage is at all a concern for you, you can put the 454 idea out of your mind!

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to swap out my 350 in my 85. I'm in CA too and from talking to GM dealer service guys and a couple mechanics, the only smog legal replacment engine is the crate 350 (base model). So if you want more power than what a stock crate 350 puts out, you might want to rebuild your existing engine to keep it smog legal. I'm not 100% sure on all this so hopefully somone else will shed some light on this subject.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers 14Bolt/ Dana44 4.10's
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

4. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

If you're willing to pay serious $$ edelbrock's new crate engines are supposed to be smog legal. I don't know if they are in production yet though.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Man if you put the Gear Vendor overdrive in you will not have much of a drive shaft, those are long units. I feel your pain for the smog crap, I wish I had answer about that. I say use the big block, my old truck had one and it got better milage than my buddies 350 in the same rig