Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

83 K5 Power steering. need help. (imma new guy)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 00silverstreak, Dec 14, 2003.

1. 00silverstreak

00silverstreak Registered Member

Im replacing my power steering pump on my newly aquired 83 k5. Im going to replace the pump and all of its hoses but i need to know if the air in the new lines will hurt anything or is there a way to bleed them. thanks in advance.
    Scott

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

got to bleed it, to bled you fire it up and turn the wheel left and right a bunch of times. Then top off the fluid and repeat till air bubbles don't appear.

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Just pour the new power steering fluid in and give the wheel a couple of turns back and forth with a friend watching the fluid level so you dont run it dry, and you should be fine. I just did this with ram assist and it has worked fine since.

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

turn the wheel lock to lock slowly and pause at each lock for about 5-10 seconds to purge the air, repeat this until the whining subsides and the chattering stops..

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i dont have my chiltons in front of me, but if i remember correctly, you also can bleed the pump by turing it opposite of the engine rotation. do that untill the level does not drop any more, then hook the belt back on the pump and proceed to bleed the rest of the system by turning the steering wheel lock to lock