Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

83 K5 Project Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blueridgek5, Mar 23, 2006.

1. blueridgek5

blueridgek5 Newbie

I am sick and tired of replacing my rear end. I put a 12 bolt in this last time and it is now out. I run 33's, with a 383 and 465. I NOW finally know, thanks to this web site and many others, that a 14 bolt and a Dana 60 is what I want to go with. My problem is I am going to be going with Junk Yard Parts and I am so confused over what to look for as far as what years will will work and if 3/4 ton will have the goods or just the ton, and stuff about the brakes? I have read from somewhere, maybe here that certain years wont work? I have also read from somewhere (maybe here) that axles from 73-87 1 ton is a simple swap. I am getting so confused! Also, I want to go with a NV-4500 5 speed. the one with the lower first gear. i have heard it has to come from a Dodge, because of the clutch also I have heard 92-95 GM. Can someone please Help? Is there more than I need to know?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You would want to bump up to at least 35's to equal the the ground clearance you have now with 33's and a 12 bolt .

The 3/4 ton will match the spring perch width of your 83 to bolt in , the 1 tons match the 69-72 Blazers .