Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

`83 K5 vs `89 Sub

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kaos, May 16, 2005.

1. kaos

kaos Registered Member

Hi all :)
    I have a`83 K5 with diesel. The owner before me did some strange things with it. He took out half the A/C :confused: and messed up the eletrics.
    Couple of weeks ago I found a `89 Sub that was wrecked but the wireharnes was ok so was the heater. But when I take a closer look at the wires its difrent in many ways, the plugs for the doors are not the same. On my `83 K5 i have a red box under the dash, what is that?? The Sub did not have that box so there is no plugg for it. Do I miss some boxes from the Sub maybe?? I just took the harnes with the fusebox. The Sub did not have A/C but it was also a 6.2.

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

What did the wrecked burb have for a motor?

Don't quote me on this but i doubt you'll be able to use that harness because of the fact its probably an EFI 350 or 454 rig.

3. kaos

kaos Registered Member

The Sub was a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel non A/C from 1989, my K5 is a `83 6.2 diesel with A/C.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You know the wiring harness is also different as far as the steering column goes . Starting in 1984 the wiper switch is on the column , and I think the 89 dimmer is on the column , but would need to look at my buddys 89 burb to be sure on the dimmer .

5. kaos

kaos Registered Member

Yes, I did not think bout that, but that is poss to rewire?? I remowed one large red box, one a little smaller yellow box and a even smaller black box and the diesel started and all the lights worked so it seems I dont need the boxes and for the door plugs, I took the doors from the Sub so I just use them :)