Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

83 k5 wont pass emissions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jaybo, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Jaybo

Jaybo Newbie

my 83 k5 wont pass emissions.....fails on the carbon monoxide test........anybody have similar problem or idea on how to fix?

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Many people will tell you different things, but here is what has worked for me MANY times:
    First of all, make sure your engine is in a decent state of tune to begin with and has clean oil, then drive over to the inspection station and when you get real close, duck under the hood and lean the heck out of the air/fuel ratio. Also remove the air filter if it's the style that can't be seen by inspectors. Obviously, you don't want to ride around like this for very long, but it WILL get you through a sniffer test. After you pass, go around the corner and simply undo the mods.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Welcome! Please fill out your profile.... your location for smog makes a difference in how you can do different things to pass... as well as the specs on your truck....

Make sure it's driven right before the test and fully warmed up.... get some dry gas or alcohol and run that in there too... may not solve it totally but it should help some.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard of many remedies. One being the rubbing alcohole mixed in with the gasoline. Also I just passed mine awhile back, and I passed with flying colors, but I had my mechanic set the timing, and set the mixture in my carb. I didn't have him set it for emissions, just normal. Then I got on the freeway on the way over to emissions, and kept it at a good clip without OD on to pull some extra RPMs to heat up the cats. While I was waiting in line, I kept the idle up to around 1K (estimate). Then when the vehicle in front of me went into the bay, I popped the idle up to 2.5-3K RPM to get the cats hot again. I went in, and passed with ease.