Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'84 14sf to mid'70s ff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I got a friend that is getting ready to sell his mid to late '70s(I think) 3/4T , and it's got a 14bFF in it that he said I could swap my SFer for if I want:D
    Will it just "bolt in"? I know that I need to check the gears to see if they are the same, but I'm wondering about spring pads, brake lines & cables (E-brake)
    My SF is an 8 lug, Suburban mod.

2. boxxerace

boxxerace Registered Member

Yep.

Bolt right in. The only 14 FF that won't directly match up spring perch width-wise is the Van version. Brake lines should directly fit up. If for some reason they did not, you could always reflange the lines and put new fittings. I did the same sort of thing you are doing. Mine is a 77' axle in a 91' burb.

Double check the driveshaft connection. The yoke's could be different depending on the joint size that came on the FF. I guess there are some funny joints that you can get to make them match up. Me: I bought a 1410 yoke and slip (that fit on the standard spline rear shaft) from High angle.

E-brake lines I am not 100% on.

Oh, remember to check how the u-bolts are on the FF. Some are the upside down style. Hopefully it is the upwards facing style!

Good luck!

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Not true. 1 ton 14BFF also require the spring perches to be moved.