Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 3/4ton 6.2 sm465

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by braunm, Dec 11, 2001.

1. braunm

braunm Registered Member

I just found a 84 3/4 ton chevy p/u 4x4 with a sm465,10bolt front and i believe a 14 bolt sf. I can get the truck for 600. I got the keys from him and I went to look at the truck. Started right up everything felt good. Put it in 4WD and messed around in the woods. There is wires all over the place that don't go anywhere and the gp light keeps coming on. Other then that the truck in good shape it seems. The body is in good shape to. So what I need to know is what I should look out for. It just seems to good a deal. I feel like there is something I am missing. I have a few cucv trucks. My boss said the cucv 6.2 is a much better engine then the one in this truck. I did not know there was a differance. Thanks for your help again!!!!

Mike

One more thing, what locker comes in the m1008 cucv?

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The only difference between the HD 6.2 and the LD 6.2 was the addition of an EGR to the intake. Pop the aircleaner off and see if the big EGR valve is there, If it is, the intake will be full of soot-gunk. The real improvements: stiffer bottom end, bigger valves & prechambers, came with later years.

The 14b FF in the M1008 comes with the NoSpin locker.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. braunm

braunm Registered Member

Thanks again dieseldan. What size tire can I run with a 14 bolt sf before it breaks?

Mike

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You say the real improvments came in later years. When did they start making the 6.2s with stiffer bottom end and bigger valves and prechambers?

77'/87' 3/4 ton Burb, 400cu, sm465, np205, 14boltff, dana44, 4.10s, 35in BFG's.