Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84' 6.2L SUB

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by KRUM, Apr 21, 2002.

1. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

84\' 6.2L SUB

like it says 84' 6.2L silverado edition suburban it has a turbo 400 behind the 6.2 and 208 t-case and it is a 3/4 ton with that said it didn't feel like it had too awful great throttle response is this normal ? i was just test driving it today so how should a normal diesel engine with 200k act and how much should i pay for this cause i got him down to 1,600 no body damage no rust power everything and front and rear air that has just been juiced!
    thanks,
    krum

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Re: 84\' 6.2L SUB

Diesels in general don't have very good throttle responce, thats why they're not much fun in cars. Does it smoke quite a bit? If it smokes alot and has poor throttle responce it may need to be timed. If the timing is retarded it can cause worse than usual throttle responce.

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great deal to me!

4. René

René 1/2 ton status

I'm dreaming for such a deal...

5. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

no doesn't smoke much mabe just a little. i have never owned a diesel before and this is the first one i've ever driven it just didn't seem like it had much power to me but i think he said the engine has 156K on it.i'm just not sure what to expect from a diesel so why dont you guys tell me what i should expect from takeoff to it shifting. i did notice that it shifted awful fast through the gears though. any insight on how it should act would be helpful oh yeah he said it had at least one glowplug that needed replacing mabe more
    thanks,
    krum

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Sounds like a deal. The non-turbo 6.2L isn't a power house, but it makes good amounts of torque and hp down low in the rpm range, so it isn't as bad as the numbers make it sound. Will it be slower than a smiliar truck with a 350 or big block? Yes. Will either of those trucks get 15-20mpg around town? No./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

do you guys think this truck would pull 35-38" just crawlin around in the woods with the low end torque?
    thanks,
    krum

8. AJMBLAZER

Shouldn't have a problem. Several of the guys on this forum are running the 6.2L and big tires. Keep the gearing good, about 4.10's for that size, and it won't be much different than it is stock with 31" tires or so.

Put a Banks Turbo kit on it and you'll have the hp of a fuelie 350, torque of a big block, and 20-22mpg./forums/images/icons/cool.gif $1800, but worth it if you plan on keeping the truck and using it for a long time.

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

$1600 is a bargain, especially for a 4x4! Go for it!

Casey

10. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I had 37s on my truck for about 5000 miles (took them off while the truck is my daily driver) and still had lots of power. In dirt or gravel it would usually spin them if I wanted. I'm running 4.10 gears, but I think a set of 4.56 would work a little better.

11. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

you guys wouldn't happen to know the stock gear ration of this thing would ya considering the 6.2 t400 and 208 it has factory reciever hitch for towing its the silverado edition also
    thanks,
    krum

12. AJMBLAZER

3.73's or 4.10's most likely. 4.56's were a factory option, but very rare.

Best bet is to go buy some gaskets and 80w90 and crack open the diffs and find out for yourself. Bet the oil needs a change anyways./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I would check and make sure that the 400 is factory equipment. Most 6.2s came with 700r4s because of their lower RPM range.......

Other than that sounds like a good deal. See if you can get some maintenance records from the guy. If the injector pump and injectors haven't been done, you can probably expect to replace them within the next 50K, especially if the guy didn't change out the fuel filters regularly.

A good way to check if the guy was good with maintenace is to pop off the aircleaner cover and see how clean the air filter is. If the filter is dirty, chances are the dude wasn't too concerned with maintenance. Ask him when he last changed the oil - he should have done it within the last 3000 miles MAX.....

I hope this helps a little more.

14. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Actually, the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks used the TH400 tranny. Only 1/2 ton and light duty 3/4 ton trucks had 700R4's. I've found that most 3/4 ton 2WD trucks you find on the road have 400 trannies and 4.10 gears.....terrible highway drivers.

Krum, check the glovebox for the option codes. It should say what gear ratio it is. If it just say's "standard," then it's hard to say. Could be 3.42, 3.73, or 4.10.

Casey

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks for the info, Casey. I can't believe that GM twinned a 6.2 with a 3-speed tranny EVER. What kind of RPMs would you be turning at 65? It can't be good for a 6.2 to turn that fast for long periods of time...........

16. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

the gear selector for the auto only has 1,2, and drive for the forward gears.
    thanks,
    KRUM

17. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Actually, it's not that bad, not much worse than an SM465 or any other tranny without overdrive. The RPM's really don't hurt the motor any, it can take it. It just sounds like it's going to come apart, but it really isn't.

Casey