Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 Blazer...PROS / CONS of a project...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JAYZ28, Nov 27, 2000.

1. JAYZ28

JAYZ28 Newbie

HELLO ALL! this is my first post and it is a rather long one...

I'm looking at a 1984 Blazer with about 120,000 miles on it...
    It has Arizona plates (I'm out here in CA with SMOG NAZIS!) so that is a concern...BUT...
    The real deal is the truck has a tranny that is not engaging ANY gear other than first...
    The original owner has it parked in a driveway after it started smoking and blew trans fluid all over the under and rear end...Sounds like the tranny died...Aside from tune up, SMOG equip as needed...How much would you all pay for this truck? Other than the tranny it ran fine...He has started it everyweek since and runs fine...He just does not wanna fix it and smog it here in CA...The engine requires either a SMOG pump OR new egr to pass out here...It will need a new tranny or rebuild...
    The outside is PERFECT clean...never in any collision, paint is faded Dk blue and the interior is used but very clean on not worn down and beat up...no tears or missing pieces...The top has NEver been removed and looks great inside and out...

With 120,000 miles there are tuning issues that I will neeed to address BUt overall, what do you all thing I should pay for this type of project...I REALLT DO NOT wanna get too much $$ wrapped up in it...I race my Z full time and most of my project $$ goes to that...I'd use this truck to haul my Z on a trailer...And run it during he winter and in the mountains...

I live up in Northern California and the person I'm trying to get this truck from is a friend I do trust...His dad is the original owner and the one who is selling it...My concern is about the tranny and other possible issues these trucks are prone to...

ANY and ALL responses are appreciated!

I wanted some REAL answers and I figured I'd come in and ask the people who REALLY work on these!:)
    None of my racing buddies have any real experience with this truck...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Jason - JAYZ28

1999 Z28 A4
    Bright RED w/T^Tops
    A few respectable mods.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Is it a stock blazer or does it have lift new axles etc.

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

3. JAYZ28

JAYZ28 Newbie

The guy keeps saying it is a K5...Does that make sense...
    He's asking $2000 right off the bat...
    BUt has been unable to sell it and only has 1 guy interested who has not gotten back with him...

Honestly, I do not know a lot about these trucks...I can make your ears bleed when it comes to an F-body...LOL

What else should I ask about this truck...i've seen it only once this week...I really did not care until I saw how good the body and interior were...It is very clean...And a solid dk. blue color...He can hardly put gas in his car let alone THINK about tackling a project like getting this truck running...He's hard up for cash...He really does not know a lot about the truck...he thought it had a v6 in it and was confussed when i questioned that...

This seems like such an easy project, I just want to be sure I pay a fair price and there aren't any hidden snafu's waiting till I get it that you all may know about...If all i do is the tranny and just throw in a new one that's easy and cheap for such a great looking truck...IMHO...

THANKS!

Jason

1999 Z28 A4
    Bright RED w/T^Tops
    A few respectable mods.

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

With a Blown Transmission I'd offer $1,800 for it. I bought my 83 K5 Blazer for $2,000 and everything works on it.
    Are you planning on paying cash? If so I bet he'd take the $1,800 .
    It's a great truck.. well worth the money in my opinion.
    Summit Racing or Jet Products sell the 700R for Heavy duty use for around $1,300 bucks.
    Use that as a bartering chip to get it for a lower price.
    If the body and interior is good.. I'd say go for it.

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I will make a wild assumtion and say it it's all stock as far as tires, wheels, springs etc. First you need to determine what trany you have, again I'll guess a 700R4, an overdrive, that had lots of problems early on. A decent stock rebuild should be under $1000. Aftermarket "hotrodded" units run around $1600. Smog is a whole 'nother deal. A pump should be easy to find in a salvage yard, but being from Texas I don't have much experience putting smog equipment back on. All parts are generally easy to find and fairly inexpensive.....other than the tranny ......naturally. Maybe some of the more experienced dudes here will respond with more info.

Michael[​IMG][​IMG]

6. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

well i feel that just about any 4 wheel drive the runs and works has to be worth at least $1000. Its hard to find rust free vehicles here in michigan so if it were me i'd buy it. we have people selling 80's blazers anywhere from 2 to 5 thousand. I 've looked at 5 different trucks and all of them had rust and none were less than 3 grand. I don't see how you could go wrong unless the rest of the drivetrain is shot.
    Craig

[​IMG]

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You need more info to get a good answer..........305 or 350? Turbo350 or 700r4(overdrive tranny)........ and if there's been tranny issues, what kind of shape is the transfer case in? Stock axles and diffs? And front ends in our babies can cost a lot to fix up too if ball-joints and u-joints are blown.....

One other thing to consider is how much of the emmisions stuff was ripped out. If you need to replace your airpump, your hoses, all your vacuum-operated items and vacuum hoses, and maybe your coolant temp sensor switches as well, it might not only cost a bundle but may also be hard to find the parts you need too!

It sounds like nice truck and looks good too, but we've all been there before!!!!!!!!

8. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

Tell you what, for 2000, can't really go wrong. If you decide you dont want it, you can sell it for what you piad or even more... especially if it is from AZ...no rust, even it didn't run, you could part it out and make your money back.. there are guys here that are dying for a rust-free tub. Like rocko said, we got our 83 for 2000, and she is a peach. With the normal tune-ups and TLC. I say go for it.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

9. JAYZ28

JAYZ28 Newbie

<blink>THANKS!</blink> You guy have been a GREAT HELP!

I'll get some more detail this weekend...I'm think about working from $800.00 and see where it goes...He has had a bunch of Blazer guys check it out and none have counter offered on his 2500 price...He is looking at giving it to charity by the end of december if he does not sell it...And just taking the tax write off...Kinda sad in my opinion...

I'm gonna get some SMOG question answered this week so I know what all I need...The problem with the SMOG is that this truck was never equip'd for CA regulations ...It is a 48 state car...Nothing was removed, It is just nothing was ever installed at the factory to make it comply w/ CA and NJ...

You guys have been GREAT! Once aging thank you all for the replies and taking the time to help me out! I'll keep ya posted on what happens if you are interested...

The truck is very clean...My friends dad drove it to work in AZ 14 miles round trip for years B4 my friend brought it out here...I'm thinking I'll make a go of it...

Please post more input if you like OR email me...

Jason - JAYZ28

1999 Z28 A4
    Bright RED w/T^Tops
    A few respectable mods.

10. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

I'd do just as you said... Low ball him and see where it goes. If you don't want to spend much, I'd stick below $1500 if you can. 99 Z huh? You ever go over to http://www.camaroz28.com? I Moderate over there. Take it easy and good luck on the truck and the LS1...

[​IMG]
    ~crash

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, do exactly what you said, offer low and work up. Personally, I would pay at the most $1650 for it. Nothing more. But that rust free sounds soooo good though. I bought my rust bucket and working on the body is such a pain. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy a rust free tub. Remember though, in AZ, most trucks/cars are rust free over there, so that's not a big deal to them.
    Also, the 700R4 tranny that truck had is known to be bad. GM didn't fix the kinks out of it till 87' and up. So, I would ditch that and throw in a TH350/NP203 combo and be done (put a Mile Marker part-time kit in the 203 as well). That combo is cheap. Shouldn't run you more than $350. Unless you can find a an NP205. Unless you can the NP208 to the TH350. You'll be better off with a TH350 trans since all you'll mostly be doing is towing your Z28. But all in all, do what you say, start low on the bid. It does sound like a good deal though.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

12. JAYZ28

JAYZ28 Newbie

BB-&gt;&gt; Yup I hit Camaroz28 once in a while...I'm mostly on a local board www.NORCAL-LS1.com and www.LS1.com...VERY NICE looking ride!

Out here rust free is kinda a given...I would not buy it unless it was rust free...There aren't a whole lot of rust buckets...Unless they come from the east coast or wid-west and were abused...They kinda stick out...

I'll get some detailed info on the truck and let ya know...

Also, is there a good cheap place too get parts for this rig from
    THANKS!!

Jason

1999 Z28 A4
    Bright RED w/T^Tops
    A few respectable mods.

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

14. conv76jimmy

conv76jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you end up not buying his Blazer i have one for sale i'm in Northern California and mine is in decent shape also its
    an 81 Blazer w/350 with an 700r4 interior is complete. If you
    want some pictures let me know.

Thank You,
    Junior

2-wheel'n all the way!!!