Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 BLAZER

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kv5137, Oct 23, 2000.

1. kv5137

kv5137 Registered Member

I BOUGHT A 84 BLAZER RECENTLY AND FOUND THIS SIGHT. IT HAS A 305/4SPD MANUAL WITH 78,000 MILES RUST ON THE USUAL PLACES OR SO I'M TOLD. MINT INTERIOR. POWER WINDOWS,DOORS. I WANT TO MAKE SOME MODIFICATIONS TO THE TRUCK. WHERE SHOULD I START. CAR RUNS GOOD. I WAS THINKING AN EDELBROCK CARB AND MANIFOLD WITH AN MSD IGNITION. DUAL EXAUST. AND POLYURETHANE BUSHINGS ALL AROUND. ANY HELP SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED. I ALSO OWN A 66 AND 70-NOVA

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What do you plan to do with the truck? Are you going to make it a trailer queen, use it off-road, daily drive it, or a little of all of it?

3. kv5137

kv5137 Registered Member

I PLAN ON USING THIS TRUCK AS A DAILY DRIVER. I LIVE IN NYC SO THE STREETS ARE LIKE OFF ROADING.

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

If your going to use it as a daily driver in NYC, I would start with the Ignition and exhaust. If you're not going to 4x4 it a lot, your $$ is best spent on performance rather than lift, tires, etc ... I would personally build the engine if I were you.

If you really want to go all out, yank that 305 out and throw a small block 400 in there.

Thomas

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://stoopalini.coloradok5.com/index.html

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Good advice! get that drivetrain runnin smooth......
    Oh ya and turn off your caps lock. Yer makein my eyes cross [​IMG]
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would spend some time looking at the technical articles and project vehicles on this site to give you some ideas.
    If you plan on some light exploring you could leave it relatively stock, K5's are great right out of the box. If you want to do some mudding with it you should probably look at lifting it and installing larger mud terrain tires. The more lift the bigger the tires you can fit, however when you start adding bigger tires you also have to address gearing and axle strength. Thats why you see a lot of guys on this site with 3/4 ton or 1 ton axles and deeper gears.
    Recovery points are a good place to begin, tow hooks, Hi-lift jack etc.
    You want instant gratification? Get Flowmasters, they definitely set the tone for the rest of the truck.
    An ORD steering brace is a good idea on any Chev truck.

Just some thoughts, go slow and think about each mod and how it will affect the rest of the truck. For example if you think you might go with some big tires eventually it might be better not to sink too much money into the 10 bolt diffs, you'll be swapping those out with the big tires. 10 bolts don't last too long with tires in the 35" and up range. (putting my flame suit on right now [​IMG])

Rene

[​IMG]

7. kv5137

kv5137 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I definitely have spent some time looking at other peoples rigs, that's why i wanted a k5. I think I'll go with the msd ignition as it has worked well with my other two cars and dual exhaust with flowmasters. the car has 35" tires on it and is relatively in good condition. the stock 305 is working well so that will stay for the intern. This truck is definitely a keeper. thanks again.