Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 Chev.Pickup 14bolt Gear Ratio?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by letsrollusaf, May 26, 2006.

1. letsrollusaf

letsrollusaf Registered Member

I've got the axles and they are in the truck, but don't want to pull the cover or put it on jacks and count the tire spins, but I will if need be. Does anyone know the gear ratio out of the 84 3/4 ton axles Chevy Pickup its a 14 bolt (apparently semi-floater, but don't know how to tell?) Thanks....

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okay, more than likely the gear ratio would be either 3.73 or 4.10's in the carrier. However it could be something else. Best to just pop the cover off and look for the ration on the ring gear. Now to tell if it is a semi floater or a full floater. The easiest way to tell the difference is if you look at the "hub" on the center of the drum, if there are some bolts, 6 or 8 I can't recall the exact number, then it is a full floater. If there is nothing and just looks like a little dish and is flat with the WMS then it is a semi floater.

3. stkcode

stkcode Registered Member

Without dropping the cover...the tire spins is the only way I'm aware of. Unless you still happen to have the factory sticker on the inside of your glovebox door. Usually, big blocks had ff, that I'm aware of. Most sf that I've seen have a different cover than the ff....it's more round, where as the ff is more square at the flange. Like James said...it's more than likely 3.73 or 4.10...fairly common ratios.

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  4. letsrollusaf

Well they're transplanted out of the 84 into my 89 blazer, but I think I will revert to the tire spin method, can't be too hard, kinda exciteing me though because one guy told me it was a semifloat and when i was building installing all the hardware and what not on the drums i saw bolts at the back of the backplate, so who knows..

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If you have never changed the gear oil and inspected the gears, now is a pretty good time.

6. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

agreed. dont be lazy.

7. letsrollusaf

agreed, you are no help...what was the point of your post?

8. FightinTXag

FightinTXag 1/2 ton status

I think the point was to second the opinion that you should pull the cover if you want to positively identify your ratio. Plus, if you've never done it you should probably be performing some PM in there anyhow. There's a lot of helpful people here. Take a picture of the hubs and the diff with the cover off. They'll let you know what you've got in the way of sf/ff or open/govlock/aftermarket posi/locker.

But you should probably try to not be snippy when folks are offering suggestions. You were the one asking for advice afterall.

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

and yours?

im just tryin to reaffirm the point that i dont see a point in not pulling the cover on an old axle.

who knows he may find 4.56's and a bunch of pond water in there:confused: