Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 chevy steering problem loud poping

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by motofool, May 1, 2005.

1. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

Hey guys

got 4" TC soft ride springs some procomp shocks the rest is stock on my 10bolt

i installed brand new u bolts at the same time new bolts also on the ends of the springs

when i turn the wheel like for parking or just going slow under25 i can hear poping more then once lock to lock

midas showed be its my spring poping he thought it was coming from the crossmember having loose rivets...

we got 4 turns on the u bolt nuts and it made it better but didn't come close to going away

it had new draglink ends last sumer 4-5k miles ago

the drag link is at a decent angle would this be contributing to this??

(im looking for a steering arm at the moment)
    would a steering arm and new draglink ends and maybe a sway bar drop remedy this?

also when im slowing down i have a clicking kind of like a metalic ping coming from the drivers side of the front axle

Help!

Bill

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

When mine was "popping" it was because the steering box was loose on the frame. Often the frame cracks behind the box and requires repair.

My friend (who doesn't believe in torque wrenches) had a squeek from his when turning and it was loose u-bolts. With a torque wrench we tightened the u-bolts to 130 ft/lbs and haven't had any problems since.

With the truck running have a friend turn your wheel back and forth and if it makes the popping noise then just look for what is moving (that shouldn't be) when it pops.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

mine popped, because i had 2 power steering pumps puke their guts out, filled the spring up w/ fluid and it collected a buncha dirt. Jacked the front of the truck up by the bumper to let the suspension droop, sprayed the spring out w/ brake-kleen and shot in a buncha spray graphite powder, all is quiet now.

4. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

no cracks in frame springs are pretty clean

Help guys!!!!

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

mine did the same thing,took forever to figure it out. the pops in the steering were causs by loose bumper bolts. only maybe a 1/2 turn loose, but it solved it. have someone turn the wheel back and forth while parked so you can listen to where its coming from. check tightness of all bolts if you cant find it.

6. mjfoster49

mjfoster49 Registered Member

Mine popped like that and i had a broken center pin.

7. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

ive been under the truck the spring is actually whats poping and its poping hard enough to feel it well in the frame rails...

someone told me to try some spring clamps to clamp the sping pack together so im trying that to see the spring is binding up when i turn the wheel its very weird.

8. mjfoster49

mjfoster49 Registered Member

When my centerpin was broken I could feel the popping in the frame and the springs. i could also feel it in the floorboard, But i could not see that it was broken without unbolting the ubolts.