Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'84 CUCV 6.2L <- Aftermarket Air Conditioning?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AudieMurphy, Jun 26, 2005.

1. AudieMurphy

AudieMurphy Registered Member

I cant post in the DIESEL section without a subcription. (Id be very inclined to make a donation to a full service forum, not buy a subscription just yet.. I dont have a CK right now)

Anyway, I just got off the phone... A guy 2.5 hours from me has an '84 CUCV Blazer wtih 6.2L. (He wants $3,500... Dont sound too bad to me, hes gonna send pix. Its got 14bolt FF rear, 10bolt front, 4:10, TH-400, NP208)

As you know (And I know since Im retired from the Army and got swamp ass in many a CUCV :blush: ) theres no A/C.

Well, Ill be damned if Ill go without.

So, whats the possibility of adding A/C to one of this year/model, etc? Cost is not as much an issue as ability to add A/C. Id even look at an after market kit if there was one that would fit the 6.2D application.

If I get it, I *plan* on adding sound deadning, rubber floors, headliner and Paint her FIRE ENGINE RED. :cool1: Also, full convert from 24 to 12. Did I mention I gotta have A/C?

(Note to subscribers: If I get this, or similar vehicle, Ill subscribe to CK5)

Thanks for your help,
    Andrew

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Eh. Why buy a military truck and make it civvy? I would just buy a diesel Blazer and be done with it.

The 24V on these trucks is done with two alternators, so there's nowhere to put the AC compressor. (Well, except the M1010 ambulance, but they have AC :) )

Anyway, if you're gonna buy a CUCV and repaint it and convert it and put AC on it ... you're gonna end up with a regular diesel Blazer. With no gauges, no overdrive, etc etc.

Go look at regular Blazers, with the 700R4 tranny, and AC, from the getgo. You'll be much happier. And you won't wreck a perfectly good military vehicle :D

-- A

3. AudieMurphy

It wont be turned into a civy truck, just have the options added that it is lacking.

There are no diesel civilian Blazers within 200+ miles of me either.

Convert to true 12V, loose 1 alt, mount compressor in place?

Not really... IIRC, a civy Blazer is 1/2 ton, the CUCV is 3/4 ton, FF axles, already 4.10, 6.2L is in there. Swapping a 700R4 after the 400 dies shouldnt be a problem if I really want OD.

Basically, the CUCV is a tough as tank Army muel, compared to a civilian pony. ;)

I dont want to keep it OD, already had an S-10 that I painted like that... Was cool for the 2 years I kept it.

So, with the updated points addressed, can I add A/C?

Thanx,
    Andrew

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status Premium Member

actually, the 1009's still had the 10bolts front & rear I do believe, its just rated as a 3/4 because the mil's rating system is different. A civvy 1 ton would be rated at 1 1/4.

5. dremu

The CUCV *Blazers* have the same 10-bolt axles, 3.08:1 ratio. I know, I have one :)

The CUCV *trucks* are what you're thinking of with the big axles and 4.10 and 4.56:1 ratios.

-- A

6. AudieMurphy

I would agree with the above, but this guy has modded it in the axle/lift department already :saweet:

* 4.10 gears front and rear
    * 14 bolt 10.5" FF rear Lincoln locker (spider gear welded)
    * 10 bolt font (stock CUCV) but has a Lock Right
    * 4" suspension lift
    * 36.5X14X15 tires (Sounds like HMMWV size tires to me?)

So, I could buy a civilian Blazer and spend $1,500 extra for the upgrades, or spend $1,500 less and already have them. ;) (aside from the A/C of course, Im guessing $1,000)

Andrew

7. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

well since nobody is gonna ask the poor man's question about A/C i guess i will.....................................................i dont know :grin: i will help you out though everyone keeps telling you to buy a regular k5 with all the fancy gizmos already in it but that dont always work because mine has no A/C and its just a regular k5 like everyone else. (but i have the stock 4 speed on the floor which is rare for a 86 and everyone in my town is dying to see when im gonna sell it) :wink1: so back to the subject since i dont know how your gonna have to ask someone else because i am wanting to do the same thing

8. AudieMurphy

God bless you Buff, and your at least on target with the reply. Adding A/C, I think it was. ;)

9. dremu

Sorry, I thought I answered it. Pretty sure the AC compressor goes where the driver's side alternator is now ... maybe it's the other way around.

You could get aftermarket; I've not seen any kits for same, but then I've not looked.

To do factory, you'd need the factory compressor, condenser, all the hoses, the controls, the ductwork in the dash, and you'd need to replace the vents on the sides by your feet... oh, and the heater core box thing up in front of the glovebox and its plumbing.

If you could find an AC-equipped parts truck, even a gas one, you'd be much closer.

-- A

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I would have to say yes. And didn't "Trucks" advertise an aftermarket one for the 'Copperhead' truck?

11. AudieMurphy

I think they did, I just watched those about 4 weeks ago and I think I remember the A/C.

12. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 v3500 a/c rust free cab that I have been parting...

I have the complete system.... condensor,pump, lines....
    and for the right price I guess i could tear into the truck and remove everything.... its in excellent condtion
    I sure wish you east coast guys that want all my stuff were closer

What would you be willing to pay for a/c?

Aftermarket stuff gets spendy.... 750 to 1000(and up).... I know I did it on my 83k5.... and I was never really happy with it

Its nice seeing the tv trucks.... but we forget they get most of their stuff donated or paid for.... and not with their own hard earned dollars

cam

13. AudieMurphy

True that...

If I pick up that CUCV, Ill give you a yell! Thanx for the info.

Andrew

14. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

I will be ordering a Vintage Air a/c kit this week for my M1009. It is a generic kit with a slim line underdash unit for a/c only. That way I don't have to mess with the heater box, duct work, etc... and it will blow much colder. I will have to convert to 12V and lose the DS alternator. There is not a specific kit for the diesel, so you will have to fab your own compressor mounting bracket. The kit I'm having pieced together comes with a "blank" bracket that I can modify to make work. I have access to all the metal working tools needed, so this won't be an issue. I am getting it through the Sachse Rod Shop here in town for $815 before tax. Good luck!

15. camperspecial

camperspecial Newbie

http://ackits.com
    Try this website. They list a kit for deisel blazers. Just put in your specs. I used 1985 model year and they show one for deisels. It might work. I hear what you are saying about "needing" a/c. I bought my Jimmy because the R12 system still worked great. I looked at several already lifted, new motors, etc, but I bought the only one I found with working a/c. :cool1:

16. AudieMurphy

Thanks much! Do me a flavor? Take & post some pix if you would? And lemme know how it blows! (hope it dont suck :-) )

Thanks in advance!

Thanks much! Ill search around... good link!

Andrew

17. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

Sure thing! Once I order the system, it will take about a week or so to arrive.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

some alternatives...

I had one customer come to the junkyard I worked at and asked how much work and the cost for all the stuff needed to swap AC into a non AC truck--we would have sold him all the stuff for 100 bucks--but when he saw the amount of labor it entailed,he said "forget it!"---a few weeks later he drove in with a 5000 btu home AC unit hanging out of his slider back window!--he used a big 110V inverter to power it!..it was plenty cold inside his cab too! :D

We suggested that an AC unit off a motor home might have been a better choice--they are self contained and run on 12V,not 110!..I have seen more than a few GM trucks with a winnebago style AC unit of its roof around here in recent years!..seen them on Suburans too!...if I wanted AC in my trucks or van that had none,I think I'd go that route instead of all that work converting factory stuff in--and aftermarket AC units dont seem to hold up or work as good as factory units either... :crazy:

19. AudieMurphy

I used to have a travel trailer, and wasnt sure of a 12V unit, so I did some extensive research today.

RV units *only* come in 110V. In order to run say a Coleman unit off a vehicle's 12V system, you would need about a 2KW inverter. The amount of draw on the 12V system would be around 130 amps. This dont sound like a very good solution.

However:
    http://www.dcairsales.com/vehicles.html

A 4,400 BTU 12V roof mount system would likely work very well! (They also make a 9,000 BTU). HOWEVER, look at the pricing:

9000 BTU RM12 -> $3,265
    4400 BTU RM12 -> $2,611

These numbers were given by the sales rep when I called.

The positive is it can run off a running vehicle, operate while the vehicle is traveling on the highway (I asked), and can run for several hours with little drain with the vehicle off (deep cycle suggested).

If it wasnt for the price, Id buy one ASAP just to put in my current vehicle!! (Damn OEM A/C is weak)

So, looks like Im off to check Vintage Air's setups.

Andrew

20. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

well thankyou for clearing up my getting off the subject :doah: some times i just ramble on and on and on and one and.....what where we talking about again :thinking: