Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 diesel crew cab $300.00

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by edlavarreda, Jan 17, 2004.

1. edlavarreda

edlavarreda Registered Member

solid condition picked it up the other day how hard would it be to to put a 350 in it do not know about diesel always heard horror stories about them would love to make it a short bed may be 2003 bed and front clip and blend in the cab with the new parts any ideas input is welcome thanks gurus

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

uhhh thats quit a lot of work ur talking about there unless ur a really good body man lol..

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Input:

Learn to form a sentence and use punctuation. A clear understanding of the English language goes a long way here.

These trucks are very easy to work on and modify. I'd leave the Diesel if it runs alright. Otherwise, the gas engine will bolt right in. It will obviously require some fuel system modification.

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

dont forget a different tranny if youre going diesel to gas

Later

5. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

You do not need a different tranny. I didnt even swap the converter on my T400 when I put the 454 in.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah tranny are same i dont know why ppl think they are different, but the converter are different stall ratings form gas to diesel i have been told

and as far as putting 03 clip and bed on the truck, good luck
    you better be one of the best custom fabircators in the world to be able to pull off such a bunch of major modifications, sounds like you need to go just buy a 2003, dont ruin a good old work truck trying to do crazy things to it that are in your imagination, you wil just end up wasting money and ruining an innocent old truck

but good luck anyways

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The trannies also have different governors. Diesel trannies upshift at wide-open-throttle before most gas engines have even hit their torque peak. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

this is true. My cousin put a 350 in place of his diesle and at WOT that thing did the 1-2 shift at like 3400 RPM, /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif or somthin crazy like that.

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

as placed in posts after mine the trannies are different...or aspects of them anyway...you dont want a gas motor shifting at points that a diesel shifts because you wont be able to take advantage of the full power band...

Later

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So can't he just get the governor changed?

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah, and possibly the torque converter...im not too automatic tranny savvy...i just knew that there were differences and it is a good idea to just change the whole thing

Later

12. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

On my T400 all I did was replace the vacuum modulator on the side of the trans with a $10 B&M mod... Shifted just fine after that and it allows the motor to go to redline.

13. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Interesting. My only experience has been with t400 and 208s out of military trucks...ive had two of them that came from behind diesels swapped into other trucks and didnt run correctly...so we just swapped them out totally

Later

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it runs all right keep the diesel. Most of the horror stories you probably heard involve either the Olds 350 diesel or the common misconception that the 6.2 and the Olds 350 diesel are related. They are not related at all, and the 6.2 is a decent motor if maintained well (like anything else)

I kinda like pulling down 16-18 mpg with a 6000 lb truck on 40's.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and it's got plenty of power for my needs.

rene

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I would say stay with the diesel. Deisel's have plenty of torque that big trucks need. Plus, not everyone has one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

This has already been said but...

If the diesel runs good, keep it. Nothing wrong with a good 6.2 as long as you don't want a hot rod. Good reliable motor that gets good mileage. A turbo and/or other mods will pep it right up if you want. 6.5 TD is another upgrade.

I've personally swapped out a dead 6.2 from my truggy and reused the Th400 trans and converter for a while with the transplanted 350 TBI. Total bolt in operation except for the fuel lines and tank pump which need to be addressed. The motor mounts are the same and even the exhaust will often fit depending on the exhaust manifolds. Just get the complet harness, throttle cable, accessories and brackets, etc. with the new gasser...

17. edlavarreda

edlavarreda Registered Member

I had a friend go over it today and he says the engine is barbely broken in with 160.000. IM planing in using 44 boggers and a 700r4. what gearing do you recomend?

18. tRustyK5

5.13's

Rene

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    5.13's

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Normally I'd be with ya on this one.

44 boggers and 700R4? 5.86s. Questions? PM K5DRAGER about his. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. tRustyK5

It's a diesel...I run 40's with 4.56's (with my 6.2) and it's just about right. Besides, anything lower than 5.13's means D70 rear instead of the more common and easier to build 14 bolt.

Lastly, when the 700R4 blows up and he get's serious and drops in a TH400 he'll still be able to drive it at a reasonable speed with 5.13's and no overdrive.

Rene