Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 Full Size Blazer questions: steering gear and wiper arms, South Korea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Thanks in advance. I'm stationed in South Korea with the U.S. Marines. I have a 84 full size blazer. During the summer I changed the steering gear and its worked fine until now; it's COLD here, below zero and when starting up the vehicle the first time in the morning or after its been sitting a few hours, I can't turn the steering wheel for at least 10 minutes. Why? I'm using ATF fluid in the powersteering pump, (changed the pump twice thinking the pump was the problem), I tried loosening the nut on top of the steering gear and adjusting the allen screw to take off some slack, and still no go. I can turn the wheel to the left with some tightness, but turning to the right, it won't budge. Again, once the engine is warmed up, it's good to turn. Suggestions? The steering gear I installed was NEW GM, not rebuilt. Could a seal or o ring cause the problem? Secondly, I want to swap out the OEM wiper arms and buy the arms that tilt/bend away from the windshield and have the washer fluid coming out of the arms instead of the hood. So, what year GM wiper arms will fit my 84 even with some modifications. Again, thanks!

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Ben Malinski on 12/16/01 08:19 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

'85 on up will get you the wipers you're looking for. Process of elimination would suggest the steering gear or fluid. This is the gear's first time in the cold, so you didnt know it was screwed up when it was warm out. I dunno if fluid really matters that much, ATF is pretty the same stuff with detergant in it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Which way did you turn the allen screw. Sounds like you could have it adjusted too tight. That worm gear will wear more in the middle than on the ends and if it is too tight the ball that rides up and down the gear will bind. Maybe it being just tight enough that when the fluid is thick it will not pass by. What part South Korea. I went all over that place from the DMZ to Ichon.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Hopefully you got the backlash adjustment back to where it was when you got the gearbox. The nut on top is preadjusted from the factory and should NOT ever be turned unless by someone who knows what the're doing. With that in mind you put a new gearbox on because of why? Did your truck do this last winter? If you don't know then try draining all ATF out of your system. Refill with real power steering fluid that can be found at AAFES. If that does not cure then your looking at a pump problem.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>ExtremeBlazer</a>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Word of advice on those wiper arms, don't use the washer on the arm. If the hose fails or becomes disconnected, you have to pull the cowl cover off to replace it. Not fun. of course 99.9% of the people on here with them never complain, but I would go back to the cowl mounted squirters in a heartbeat. Don't all the wipers bend out from the windshield? I've never pulled on mine hard enough to see if they will go "vertical" but they are the newer style, and don't seem any different than the older ones, minus the squirter and black vs stainless. (oh yeah, they rust too)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I'm all over Korea; teaching SCUBA from Youngsan to Jeju! Usually I'm around Camp Humphries/Osan.
    I turned the allen screw counterclock wise to loosen it. You suggesting that I use power steering fluid and not ATF? Still, why the frozen wheel?

7. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=green>Ben, if you're all over Korea and near Osan and Camp Humphries, then you owe it to yourself to drop by the Camp Humpy Auto Crafts Shop.

Ask for Jim Bowker, he's an aging greybeard biker, tattoo'ed, long hair, long beard, rides a Harley, etc. </font color=green><font color=red>(hey, wait a minute I just described myself as well)</font color=red><font color=blue>

Jim is a great wrench, can order you any parts that you need, probably has the needed windshielf wipers in stock, can get any seals, etc. He works on anything 2 or 4 wheeled and does wonders with a set of wrenches.
    </font color=blue><font color=black>
    He's good people, and can really help.
    But if you act like you know it all, then he'll feel like you don't need his help and will blow you off.
    </font color=black><font color=green>
    Thanks to Jim, hundreds of Americans are keeping their American, Japanese, and European cars running and on the road, while being stationed in the Land of the Not So Right. Good luck with your Blazer, I know that the Koreans must run and hide when you come rumbling by.
    </font color=green><font color=red>
    Anyong y'all, and have a squeeze of soju for me.
    L8r, Slayer
    </font color=red>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Jim is TDY until next month. Usually I go and see him when I need to fix my truck. Xmas time, everyone is TDY or on leave!
    I did change the pump, three times in one day with three different pumps. Shops say it's the gear. O.K., then can it be repaired, seals or o-rings replaced? No answer from them!
    Once the engine is warm, the steering wheel turns. I'm lost! I sure don't want to spend another $300.00 for another steering gear! Especially if it's something that can be fixed in korea. I loosened the allen screw on top of the steering gear counterclock wise and now lots of play in the wheel, still, it freezes.

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Heres some figures-

Power Steering (1972 on)
    Steering gear ball drag- 3in.-lbs max.
    Worm bearing preload-- 1 to 16 in.-lbs
    Over center (Sector lash) preload- 3 to 6 in.-lbs.
    Total preload not to exceed- 14in.-lbs.

Hope this is of some help! Good luck!

1 ton '87 Chevy SWB in the making!

10. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Jim's TDY until the 24th, sorry that I forgot to mention that.
    Also glad that you already know him, he and I go waaaaay back.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think that I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]