Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 instrument panel,. 100mph speedo ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Feb 20, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok i noticed that my speedo in the 84 c-10 is 100mph, and dash is full guages, numbers are blue kinda tint like 79 were

the truck was originally 250ci

i assume it was originally dummy lights and 85mph

what do you think ?

but nayways im gonna swap in a 79 t/a tachometer in place of the fuel guage and put in a van fuel guage in the fourth small hole, i have everything i need,

thanks

2. riggz

riggz Registered Member

not trying to jack your thread here, but this is something id like to do to my 87, (replace the fuel with a tach and put the fuel in the empty hole). is it pretty much just a swap and go? or is there some calibration involved?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The 85 MPH speedo was some sort of stupid thing that either GM or the government came up with to limit speeding or something equally dumb.

You'll find cars went to the same thing, although "special" cars got higher MPH speedo's.

Personal experience and everything I've ever read leads me to believe every '80 (or '81)-up truck speedo is 85MPH. The later truck speedometer faces look nothing like the earlier ones in font/color.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've even seen an '85 camaro that stopped at 85 mph, though the owner got a wreckless driving ticket at 115 :blush:

Should be a pretty direct swap for all the guages, as long as you get the wiring right. Might just have to find out with the gas guage, but the tachs should be the same. If you get a gas guage from a similar year it would almost definitely work, especially if the sending units are the same. You could check it out with an ohmmeter at full and empty in the donar and receiving vehicle to make sure.