Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 Jimmy? Worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by exmilitary, Sep 5, 2003.

1. exmilitary

exmilitary Newbie

Took a look at it Tuesday. Dealer is selling it. $2400 Canadian. Not new to off-roading at all. Not new to full size Chev, just the whole K5 thing is new to me. (used to be a jeeper....did I see the light). Also owned a 74 Chev C10 (pig- with the full time 4x4), and an 80 C10 (not as much of a pig LOL).

Body seems decent. Engine ruuns smooth, floor needs work in two places (driver side near front of the door) and in front of the rear passenger side wheel. Can feel carpet there. Not too concerned over these. No excessive oil underneath.

I'm just wondering what all else I should look for. 4lo works, hubs OK, steering box at the frame seems ok, exhaust smells normal, oil is golden, antifreeze is green. I know the fluids may have been changed recently to hide things. BFG ATs have decent tread left. Back window motor works. Frame is clean. Overall it has minor door dings (I saw *woo hoo* four of them) and a wee bit-o-surface rust on the chrome. No pics yet.

Is 2400 a dececnt price? Sorry for the long post, and appologies if I came to the wrong place.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Is it the 3 or 4 speed auto trans or a manual?

For Canadian $$, it actually seems really low to me. (especially from a dealer) Down here in decent shape (about how you describe) private party you are into the $3000's easy.

I only ask about trans because that is an expensive fix if auto, and a dealer would LOVE to get rid of a vehicle with no guarantee if they know the tranny is bad.

You didn't mention the tranny fluid, so I'm not sure what it has. As you said, fluids can be changed, and if it makes a sale, you can bet the dealer will spend the $50 to change them before attempting a sale.

I'd at least take her for a LONG test drive, making sure to get the engine and tranny up to operating temperature. Check under dash/hood for wiring messes as well, source of potential pains. Exterior lighting as well.

Rust holes are expensive/time consuming to fix. Stick your head inside the wheel well (either above the tire or on the front "edge" of it) and look towards the front of the truck. Typically very rusty in that location. Bad design, catches dirt/water very well. Happens to be where the seat belt bolt passes through.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like a good deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. exmilitary

exmilitary Newbie

My bad, it's auto. not sure which, I think it's the TH350. damn. That's the one place I didn't look at close enough. It shifts decently from park though (My 74 caused problems there).

Yeah, I know about those rust points you mentioned, my 74 passenger seat belt pulled out nicely LOL. Not afraid to cut and weld where needed /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So from what you've said, and what I've seen, , I guess it's a go. And if not there's an 89 for $3200 available privately too. That one's even shiney. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lights all work, wiring under the hood doesn't appear too bad. No cracking wires or any melted areas. I'm handy with a wrench (Thanks to Jeeps LMAO - owned 3 of those too). And wrenching with the military gave me more shortcuts haha....

Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to it.