Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 Jimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Adub, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

I found another truck Im interested in. Its an 84 Jimmy, all stock except for dual exhaust. Has new a/c, exhaust, and tires. Interior is decent. Exterior has a few dents, needs a full repaint, a good bit of surface rust and paint bubbles. 305 with a 700r4. He wants 3995 for it, the kbb on it lists 1450 private party value, which is what I thought is was worth due to the large amount of body work it needs. Does that sound right? I have never owned a 305, is it worth buying or should I hold out and find a truck with a 350?
    Thanks again
    AW

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What do you want to do with it?

If you are going to beat it up, and the body doesn't matter, that's way too much IMO. Actually, no matter what you are going to do with it, thats way too much for a truck in poor visible condition as you describe. Most people buy vehicles based on looks first, and if it looks bad, you have already cut probably 50% of your potential market.

Again, it really depends on what you want to do with the vehicle. IMO, there is no reason to pay top dollar for a pristine truck, only to take it out and run it into trees, when you could buy a trashy *looking* truck, and spend all the money you conserved on upgrades that a real off road vehicle needs.

305 really isn't a + or - IMO, since you are getting a used engine, (which you won't know how its been used, abused, and if rebuilt or replaced, how well and with what components) whether its a 305 or 350, it's used, and could fail at anytime anyway.

Even if its a 305, a 350 will drop in, so its just an upgrade to do at a later date. : ) If you are buying it to keep in fairly stock condition, don't get bitten by the "more power" or 4 wheeling bug, or need to trailer heavy loads, then a 305 will suit you fine.

3. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Based on what you have described that guy is way out on the price!! Pass on this truck. I would wait and find a 350 (they are out there) because IMO the 305 are dogs. Way down on power, especially considering what the auto manufacturers were doing in the early '80s in an attempt to reduce smog. Even if you swapped in a 350 crank later, I just don't believe the 305 re-build is worth it.

4. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Basically I have a 98 Z28 that I want to save for driving every now and then. I just want a decent daily driver that I can go off road and play with, keep for a long time and maybe at some point, get into serious off-roading. I don't need a body in pristine condition, but I do want a to keep the truck for a long time, so body work and a repaint are necessary on this truck to help keep the cancer away. 305 doesn't scare me too much, and I would love an excuse to rebuild an engine to swap into it. As for the price, I don't know how firm he is on it. I am going to go drive it later this week and see how I feel about the truck, no way I will pay more than 1500 for it.
    Thanks
    AW