Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84? K30 Military Truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Nov 4, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've got a chance to pick up a mid 80 CUCV. Not sure which model. I do know the following:

- Approx 40K miles
    - D60 w/ 4.56s & Detroit
    - 14BFF w/ 4.56s & gov-loc
    - 6.2 Diesel
    - TH400 Tranny
    - NP208 T-case
    - Body in excellent condition. Paint good.
    - Has push guard and front/rear bumper shackles for tie-down points.

My questions is: What would you pay for this? What were some of the big issues with these? Even though it was probably trashed as a military truck, is it still a good vehicle to buy?

I can pick this up for $4000; just not sure what to do. Thanks.

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

for a running cucv with a decent body ive seen people pay 3000 to 4000 for them...

what condition is it in?

Later

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I would say excellent when I compare it to other mid 80's Chevy turck I'v been looking at it. The only thing is I'd get a paint job for it. I want to use it for a business truck.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Actually the chances of it being trashed as a military truck, depend on wether it was a Guard or Reserve truck vs. an Active unit truck. I was a mechanic in the service for years, and we took really good care of our stuff. Look at the budget we had for getting repair parts. And typically Service mechanics take a great amount of pride in their work and keeping these vehicles mission ready. Guard or Reserve equipment usually sits around a bunch and hardly gets used. Not that they don't have good mechanics but they don't get worked on or used near as much as vehicles in the active units.

Sure it probably got used off road more than other trucks you will find but then again it probably has significantly less mileage on it as well.

I know if they had used burbs in the military that would be the only kind I'd have bought, not only for the HD parts but also for the kind of service they receive. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it's a M1008 it should have a Detroit in the 14 bolt (not a gov-lock) and the D60 most likely is open. It's possible the D60 could have a 'trash-lock' but as far as I heard it was mostly the ambulances that got that.

Not sure on the value or worth, but it will be sucksville on the freeway unless you add an overdrive or much larger tires. A 6.2 spinning at 3000 rpm @ 55 mph can get really old really fast. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, Rene beat me to it. Detroit in all rears of the military K30s. Front was open on 99%. The rest got a trac-lock limited slip.

7. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i have driven m1008s that can scratch the tires into 2nd. also, they do go faster than 55.. lol. so do hmmwvs. they maybe rated at that, but they can get up close to 70.

$4000, is pretty fair. thats what most go for. here is a website.

www.boyceequipment.com

8. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

I got 2 of them. But i will sell you 1 for 3000 thats in great shape otyher than door has a dent in it.

9. tRustyK5

Yeah, I never said 55 was top speed, but having to listen to a 6.2 rev at 3000+ rpm get's pretty annoying after a while.

They should pull close to 70 mph before the govenor kicks it at 3600 rpm.

Rene

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, but if you push a M1008 (CUCV) or M998 (HMMWV) at 65+mph for any length of time you WILL be replacing a rear (or front) main seal. The CDRV can't keep up with that much crankcase pressure. Ask my how I know... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. tRustyK5

40+ hours of 2700 rpm going to Moab and back and now my rear main seal needs replacing...sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rene