Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 K5 6.2 as a Daily Driver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Oct 19, 2005.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Looking to buy one from a member here, going to look at it Friday. Anybody think this is a BAD idea? Right now it's sounding like a good one. Then I can have a DD Blazer AND my trail rig. Input anybody?

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Do it, then get a tank and run veggie oil :D

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My GF haved an 83 and she loved it. got about 25+ MPG but you know how it goes .........ROLLED. only problem you might have it with the trans.

4. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you going to look at Burblovers? From the pics it looks good. At one time I wanted to go diesel. If you come down to the Springs you should swing by the house or meet somewhere.:thumb:

Z

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

The only problem will be that desil is taking another 50 cent jump in price.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive been daily driving mine for 2 years now, and still am very happy with it. The only problem is that right now, gassoline prices are dropping, while diesel is going up. Regular unleaded is sitting at $2.68, and diesel is $3.40, at least locally. I really cant imagine this lasting much longer, but you never know.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'd say it'd be the smartest decision you ever made :D

Byt then again, I could be biased ;)

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

id love to have a diesel, im hoping to find one in good conditiong within the next year so i can swap all my stuff over :D

9. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

I would love to go diesel to use as a DD, gets great mielage, can run on veggtable oil, and reliable. The transmission could be an issue but the diesel is reliable with a little upkeep it's worth it to me. Better vehicle for making trips with as well.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I drive mine a couple times a week, but used to drive it a fair bit when I worked farther from home. I was very happy with it, and still am. The fuel cost isn't much of an issue for me right now, I only work less than 3 miles from home. When I did work farther away I really noticed a difference, and my truck doesn't get especially good mileage compared to a 6.2 truck with OD.

Right now a tank of fuel lasts as much as 2 months...:crazy:

As for other things with a 6.2...they're a bit noisier, and the power comes in a bit different than a sbc. Acceleration is about the same as a stock 305 or 350, but it also depends on what gearing and tire size the truck has. Most stock 6.2 K5's got retarded gearing plus an overdrive...and were complete dogs.

Big plus is on the trail there is no more crapping out or flooding on steep hills. It's almost as happy running upside down as it is right side up (except for the obvious loss of oil pressure...)

Rene

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

:D :eek1: :D

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

if you dont want it... I know someone who will take it! :D

13. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

John, I would jump on it if I were you. I wish I still had the diesel in mine. My biggest advice would be low gears, especially with that overdrive tranny. I used to get 20mpg even in the mountains with 33s and 3.08 gears with the 3speed TH400.

You could get a lot of your money back selling off what you have left on the Punisher.

14. TheEmissary

TheEmissary Registered Member

diesel K5 or Burb - has anyone done the WVO/SVO conversion?

I have noticed that a derelict 83 K5 is parked in a driveway for the past 3 years with 4 flat tires, and noticed that it had 6.2 badges.

Anyone who has been through greasel.com, goodgrease.com, and/or greasecar.com will notice that running SVO/WVO will require the use of a secondary tank. I would run the secondary tank on petrodiesel/biodiesel on startup/shutdown, and use the main tank for SVO/WVO storage.

Here's a link from the Houston Press where a SVO conversion was profiled using a 1980 Mercedes-Benz 300D:

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2005-11-10/news/news.html