Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 K5 buy or not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by texrbl, Jun 20, 2003.

1. texrbl

texrbl Registered Member

ok got the blazer ive been lookin at buyin out of the shop today with a list of things it needs. main things on the list are main seal and they said the rear diff. flange is loose(said there is a nut or something in the diff that may fix this problem) otherwise the other stuff was minor and im not worried about it.

the truck is in amazingly perfect condition otherwise and is bone stock. he wants too much but im goin to offer him 3500 and if he gets the rear main seal and flange fixed i my offer more.

what do u guys think and can someone please explain this rear diff flange thing they are talkin about?

thanks
    BRUNO /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

He better be able to explain precisely (and show if external) what is wrong with the axle before you take his word.

Probably a loose nut on the pinion gear, but that *theoretically* can be serious assuming this is the stock 10 bolt axle. Look at it this way. Worst case scenario he "fixes" it, you buy it, blows up on you 10 miles later. Probably $500 or so if a shop replaces the rear differential pieces for you.

What do you want to do with the truck? If you plan on beating it up, pay a lot less for a different truck, and be able to spend what you "saved", on mods you will need for a tougher truck anyways.

3. texrbl

texrbl Registered Member

well if i do get it itll be my first blazer, itll be my D/D for a few years as is im only 17 but i plan on keeping it for a long long time. im not goin to abuse it thats what a got the f150 for(curently not running /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifwho woulda thought). and for the rear goin bad a 14bff was always in the plans for this and i can get one pretty easily. but i was hopeing the 10bolt would last a little longer for money saveings. so any ideas on the rear main seal and what i could get buy with and about the cost of replaceing( i would to it myself but school and work are takein all my time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

the keys on this truck is it has a new 350 (20,000 miles), is rust free, has a good paint job, great interior, and new BFG A/T this is definatly not a beater /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif