Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 K5 driveshaft problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerboy1985, Mar 3, 2007.

1. blazerboy1985

blazerboy1985 Newbie

I just recently put a 4" Rough Country lift w/ front springs and rear blocks. I put 35s on it and sat it down off the jack and realized my rear driveshaft wouldn't spline up to the trans case. The transfer case was lowered and it still won't work. The driveshaft is 29 1/2" long from the center of the front u-joint and the center of the rear u-joint. I still need about an 1 1/2" jst to spline up. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

That's strange; most people with 4" lift kits are okay with their factory driveshaft lengths. But obviously in your case, it sounds like you need to lengthen your driveshaft. Any way of getting some pics of it?

3. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Did you pull the driveshaft out when you put the lift on? mine was fine, I left the driveshaf in and just pulled it out some and bolted it right back up.

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I just finished a 4 inch rough country lift today. I am a little short but spline up fine-I do have a little vibration though. There were a pair of wedges with the springs that angle the pinion up to cut down the driveshaft angle. Did you put them in?

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Is yours a "all spring" lift ? Most kits with blocks have a taper on the block itself . And they go in in the orientation on the instructions .

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

All spring lift. Came with wedges that were mounted to the botom of the spring pack that are removeable/interchangeable. I just was wondering if he had an all spring kit with the wedges or just blocks.

7. blazerboy1985

blazerboy1985 Newbie

My kit was a front spring and rear block kit. I put the shaft back in yesterday and it worked, for about a minute. As soon as I got it out on the road I felt a little vibration and the first bump I hit caused the shaft to come unsplined. I know the driveshaft is the right one, but I don't think the yoke is the right. How long should the yoke be? I noticed a picture of another Blazer's yoke and it was definitely longer than mine. Is it possible to use a driveshaft out of shortwide bed pickup or is it the same length?

8. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

Driveshaft length

I JUST got through resolving the same problem. I put 4" lift on, springs up front, blocks in rear. The guy I bought it from had no problems with length or pinion angle. No one else ever did ever, but I did. I had a huge problem. My driveshaft stuck out far too much, but did spline up, but when I went to stop there was a huge vibration and horrible noise. It felt and sounded just like a brake problem, but it turned out to be a driveline problem. The driveshaft wasn't in far enough and caused a binding under weight transfer during breaking. I did a transfer case drop, and it helped, but didn't fix it completely. I had to have my blocks machined to change the angle and everything is perfect now. I have about 1/4 to 1/2 of driveshaft further out than before.
    We believe the reasons for this is that my rear springs had sagged severely, causing sag and pinion angle problems, thus length problems. The measurements that worked for me were 1" transfer case drop and then the measurements for my blocks were 3 inches in the front, 4 in the rear. I experimented with temporary wooden blocks to get the right angle.