Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 k5 exhaust question!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by American84K5, Jan 22, 2005.

1. American84K5

American84K5 1/2 ton status

I live in texas and for some reason the catalytic converter law starts on 1984 blazers i was just wonderin if this is right of am i getting ripped off. cause i hate the way it sounds it y's from engine into a cat convertor then to a glass pack then ys to duals.

if im not gettin ripped off do they make catalytic conv. that dont even change the sound??? i hate it it sounds like a friggen 4 banger thats dead :mad:

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't know how the law is down there. But 84 is the cut off in NY also. I just did a TRUE dual exaust on the 89. 2-21/4 cats and a pair of Flowmasters. all the to the rear and out the side. This way it's "cool dool" and emmission legal!!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have no idea about Texas exhaust laws, however I do know that several aftermarket manufacturers offer high-flow catalytic convertors. Maybe someone who runs one will step in and offer some more useful advice.

Welcome to CK5, brother!!!

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I didn't go with "high flow" cats. The motor is all stock and most likely will stay that way. The 89 is the wifes truck. "mall rated". Anyways, I got to Catco universal cats from JC Whitney for 51.96 each. I got a couple of 40 series flowmasters for 60.00 each and bent most of my own pipe! a little under 300.00 for the whole set up. But 100% legal in NY!

5. American84K5

American84K5 1/2 ton status

thanks i used to have straight pipes with two burned out glass packs.. that was the best sound ive ever had out of this then the inspeciton dude(also owns a muffler shop) told me that i had to have a cat conv.. so we got one of those and a glass pack... it sounds ok but when u rev it it sounds like crap