Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 k5 on 52's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sumpinserious, Jun 8, 2005.

1. sumpinserious

sumpinserious Newbie

other than the obvious stuff like enough lift, bigger brakes, pinion angle, bigger axles, and stronger t-case is there anyone who knows anyone who has ran into any problems with putting a blazer on 52 inch tires. i know that i probably need military axles but i cant afford them so i am going to stick with 1 tons temporarily. are there any suggestions as to what gear ratio i should use. any help at all would be great. thanks. jeff sumpinserious

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

well wheelbase would be one Id stretch that thing as far as possible, and that d60 is going to snap like a toothpick even in mud just b/c or the weight of those things, and even w/ rockwells people are still breaking them, Id suggest a little small tire until you got your rig built right, like w/ mogs or 40 spline rockwells

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

What are you going to do with this? Even built one ton axles will not hold up to 52's, unless their on a mall cruiser...

I was going to build something similar, but after getting a set of 48's the tire weight and proportion made me decide otherwise. The tires weigh about 250 lbs each. That's without the wheel. I bet the 52's are over 300 lbs. each.
    I ended up trading for a set of 395/85/R20. These are about 80 lbs lighter each and are better proportioned. They are 46" tall and 15" wide.

Here's a Suburban on 48's with 2.5 ton Rockwells.

[​IMG]

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats a bad ass sub. Plan on rockies for sure, even with stock rockwells you will still be breaking things with those huge arse tires. I am speaking from not personal experience but what I have seen on other forums and what people are breaking. (I am have been doing tons of research on these tires and rockwells) People runnning tires like those (who actually really use their trucks to wheel) are running 2" shafts in their rockies to prevent carnage. With 46's the breakage is alot less it seems but it does occasionally happen with stock rockwells. The nice thing about rockwells is they already have gears you will need, 6.72's. And detroits are not anymore expensive. The expensive part is when it comes to brakes. You can do pinion mounted brakes, which are cheap, but most do not recommend it for street driving. To try and help you more with your question though sure you can run those tires with 1-tons as long as you dont plan on wheelin hard. When I talked to a guy at stazworks he said that even with a beefed 60 you are going to be at the max with it on 46's. Do some research over at pirate, lots of guys there are playing with these monster axles and tires. Heres a great link that I constantly refer to when trying to figure what I am going to do with my install.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313836

Let us know what you plan on doing with the truck so we can get a better idea of what to recommend to ya. :thumb:

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

whip out the check book and give ouverson engineering a call. they can build you a rocky that can handle 52s nooo problem.

j

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

would mog axles handle them? if so that may be even better.. better ground clearance!!!!

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

this would be sweeeeettttt

[​IMG]

9. jekbrown

probably... but clearance is already going to be pretty good with 52s and with ouverson stuff, rockies are stronger. There are some guys running crazy monster truck tires (66s?) on the 2" ouverson stuff with no issues. That tells me everything I need to know! lol! :grin: I think it'd be the bomb to build a single seat tube buggy with 2" shafted rockwells, 48" michelins and a hot small block. Pretty much indestructable, even if you are stupid with the skinny pedal.

j

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

there are some mog axles that would laugh at rockies like the 416, and u-1300

11. jekbrown

they can "laugh" all they want I guess... no normal tire is going to break the 2" shafted rockwell so anything beyond that would seem to be pointless overkill. Portals are pretty dang cool but they aren't the "perfect axle" by any means. If they were, no rock crawlers would have D60s. Where do you get replacement parts for a mogs anyway? Don't get me wrong though, mogs are bling, I'd run a set if I wanted to go links all the way around and didn't already have a 60.

j

12. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

well I guess since were on the ulimate discussion f-them all get 5ton rockwells

13. jekbrown

lol, them are some heavy mo-fos... even the "i can break anything" crowd on pirate doesn't consider them an option (yet anyway) due to the massive weight. Wonder if larger than 2" shafts could be made for them... hmmm...

j

14. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

this guy runs them....

[​IMG]

you can see many o big trucks runnin rockies
    here
    http://www.chevyboys.com
    http://www.misfits4x4.net

both are local NJ guys.... so that shows ya some of the trucks around here...

15. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Check out those rear blocks. :rotfl: Great place to mount your shocks. We've gat a truck around town with a similar setup.