Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 K5 with 305...Engine options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hatchet Ryda, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Hatchet Ryda

Hatchet Ryda Registered Member

I have an 84 K5 with a 305 in it. Its still running strong but I have an oldsmobile 350 that I'm getting ready to pull out of a car and part the car out. My question is (yes I did search but didn't find a specific answer to this) will the olds 350 bolt up to the 700r4 that is currently behind my 305. Will motor mounts etc line up. If not what would have to be done to make it fit properly. Adaptors and such.

I'm in no rush to change it over but I'm trying to decide if I should just sell the 350 or hold onto it incase the 305 dies in the future. The 350 screams and has been build up/bored over etc and is a great running engine. Which is why I'm trying to decide on whether to keep it and how much has to be done to put it in the K5 if the 305 dies.

TIA

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My 355 is sitting on the garage floor awaiting refreshening , and is not going in until I kill the 305 .

And I cannot kill the 305 :thumb:

Run it until it dies , it saves your money for other upgrades like lockers etc .

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No it won't bolt up to the 700. No 700 will, since they were never mated to an Olds motor. (a 2004R will, but not getting 4wd with that one)

You'd need an adapter for the tranny, and the mounts for a chev truck originally equipped with an olds diesel to make it easy. I'm sure the mount stuff could be fabbed up, but as a bolt in, it would have to be parts from an Olds diesel truck.

Problem with selling an Olds motor is that you are dealing with a Niche market. Nothing wrong with the motors, just that Chev stuff is ten times more plentiful, (and thus more desirable to more people) and cheaper to get parts for. If you can find someone with an Oldsmobile that want's a 350 (or anything 80's that used an Olds 307, like the Cadillac's, etc) then it would be worth something to them since it will bolt right in.

Then again, if you find someone that knows Olds, does it have the more desirable 5/7/7a heads on it, are the seats hardened for the 5/7 heads, is it a pre-'77 block, and so on.

4. Hatchet Ryda

yes its definately a niche market when it comes to olds stuff....I'll have to do some digging and see what I can come up with as far Olds diesel trucks...

and yeah it has the more desirable head on it..with hardened seats and is a 75..

I'll probably just keep it since it doesn't cost me anything to store and find adaptors and mounts will I'm still running the 305.

thanks

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, no reason to replace a good running engine, even if it is a 305. :) My 700R4 and 208 both died, but the original 305 kept on running, probably still would be had I not sold the truck!

Do like I did. Keep the truck all Chevy, and go buy an Olds to put the motor in. :)

6. Hatchet Ryda

LOL...I've got an Olds....but somehow I managed to break the frame on it :eek1:

long story...and something about mis-spent youth..I've out grown the car and want to build something that will crawl over what ever I point it at...

which is why I bought the K5 :D