Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 K5 with computer??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tcoker79, Aug 23, 2006.

1. tcoker79

tcoker79 Registered Member

I'm sure this is a silly question, but why does my 84 K5 have a computer under the dash? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If the truck is a California model, then it could be the ECM for the computer controlled carb. Otherwise, it is the ESC module - an add-on for the HEI distributor that retards timing when knock is detected.

I also feel obliged to mention that the K5 in your avatar is not an 84. :-)

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

He knows it's not an '84, look at his username. ;)

There are a couple of boxes under there that you could be seeing. For example it could also be the cruise control box.

Oh, and yeah like he said if it's a California truck it has more junk on it as well like mine. There is a computer to control some of the emissions.

-Avery

4. tcoker79

Yea, I know the black one is a 78 that i'm having to do alot of rust repair to. So assuming it is not a california truck, the esc module should probaly be connected... I was working under the dash when I came across this "computer" that was not connected. Would that have anything to do with the carb loading up really bad?!?!

5. tcoker79

Close, stupid I know 79 is birth year!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Need to figure out if it really is the ESC module, or as stated, the Cruise module. Typical ESC was on the passenger side above the glove box, but I've heard (but not seen) of it being on the drivers side.

Always seen the cruise control module above the gas pedal though.

Problematic ESC can be the culprit for driveability issues.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is it or was it a 305 truck? If so it would be the ESC module(looks like an ECM). It would not be a reason for the truck loading up. ESC is there to retard timing in the event of detected spark knock. However, if you have the ESC distributor with the ESC module disconnected, its going to hurt power because I beleive it defaults to the retarded setting. However in my experience(with my 84 K5 that had ESC) the truck wouldn't run without the ESC module hooked up until I put in a different distributor(mainly its the ignition module in the distributor).

8. tcoker79

Defiantely not CC module I actually know what that looks like..amazing i know. So what reason would someone disconnect the esc module?

9. Avery4jc

When I got my truck and took it to have it smogged it didn't pass because of too many HydroCarbons (aka too much raw fuel spitting out) and we found that the p/o unhooked the computer for unknown reasons and when we hooked it back up and re-tuned the carb it ran like a whole new animal. That could be it.

-Avery

10. tcoker79

Great now I have to have someone check out the carb, I have no clue how to do that. It would be nice if that was the problem though.

Oh by the way, yes it is a 305 in the truck.

11. Avery4jc

It is a quick job for someone who knows what they are doing. Find a reputable shop in town and it will cost you less since it's not parts just labor. Mine took less than 1hr. Even at full shop time around here that's like $75, not much to have it running correctly and have everything setup the way it's supposed to be.

-Avery

12. tcoker79

Thanks guys for all your help, I'll have it checked out and see what happens. Thanks again!