Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 Scottsdale (silverado) Lift ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

Whats up? Im new here....Just got a 84 Scottsdale 4x4 longbed, 1500. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif I want to put some 35's on it, along with a 5" lift. Is there anyway to get 5" instead of 6"??....(no bodylift!) What do you guys recommend. I want the "softest" riding lift. And would like to save as much $$ as possible. I hear alot about a shackle flip? Whats that all about?... I wont be doing any MAJOR offroading /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif... Thanks for the help. OH, and please dont get to technical on me, Im new to the straight axle suspension lifts.....later /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do a search. Please.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

http://dixonbrosracing.com/categories.php?cat=7 .......dont know if these will fit your longbed , Bubba Ray posted this awhile ago, and it stuck in my mind, good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The 5 inch springs are in there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. socal chevy

[ QUOTE ]
    Do a search. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the welcome buddy. I did do a search and still have questions. Buzz off /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

Your going to get the same suggestions you got on the SCBD forum.

and welcome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do a search. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the welcome buddy. I did do a search and still have questions. Buzz off /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do a search. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen jackass,

Welcome to CK5. I wasn't telling you to go away. There's plenty of good info to be found here and always room for new members. Don't take my post the wrong way.

This has been discussed, the same questions, at least once a week for the last 3+ years I've been here. Do a search on the various subjects and someone will be glad to help with your questions you have later.

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do a search. Please.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen jackass,

Welcome to CK5. I wasn't telling you to go away. There's plenty of good info to be found here and always room for new members. Don't take my post the wrong way.

This has been discussed, the same questions, at least once a week for the last 3+ years I've been here. Do a search on the various subjects and someone will be glad to help with your questions you have later.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Fawkin newbeis want to rule the world /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Welcome /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Tim have ya ever done a search on this site for specific info?
    I spent 4hrs today lookin at 52" spring swap with search.
    Take into account the guy is new not only to the site but with these rigs in general.
    Now with yer vast knowledge and info base wouldn't it be a lil more helpful in at least pointing the guy in the right direction?
    Socal.. if ya need moe info other than what I have already given ya just post up and I will try to clarify a bit more.
    Welcome to CK5

10. socal chevy

[ QUOTE ]
    Tim have ya ever done a search on this site for specific info?
    I spent 4hrs today lookin at 52" spring swap with search.
    Take into account the guy is new not only to the site but with these rigs in general.
    Now with yer vast knowledge and info base wouldn't it be a lil more helpful in at least pointing the guy in the right direction?
    Socal.. if ya need moe info other than what I have already given ya just post up and I will try to clarify a bit more.
    Welcome to CK5

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thank you.

I just want to know my lift options. I definately want to do springs up front but dont know which ones or what else I have to get to have 6" springs(steering, shafts?), Im not sure about the rear either.. shackle flip/ AAL/ spring, what do you think? Also, the truck is a 1500, so the axle is a 12 bolt i believe... will I be ok with 35's and no major offroading? Lastly, I hear alot about rim sizes...Id like to go with 15's because tires are alot cheaper. But heard that you have to grind stuff with 15...Is that true? Keep in mind that I dont want to dump 1,00s of dollars in this thing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for your help, and the friendly welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

p.s. Hey its you from the other forum. I appreciate the other info, but im still lost as too what lift kit to buy, and about the tire sizes, and the rim size... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats up? Im new here....Just got a 84 Scottsdale 4x4 longbed, 1500. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif I want to put some 35's on it, along with a 5" lift. Is there anyway to get 5" instead of 6"??....(no bodylift!) What do you guys recommend. I want the "softest" riding lift. And would like to save as much $$ as possible. I hear alot about a shackle flip? Whats that all about?... I wont be doing any MAJOR offroading /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif... Thanks for the help. OH, and please dont get to technical on me, Im new to the straight axle suspension lifts.....later /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Here ya go Ron....

Most economical way to get 5" of lift without the use of a body lift is to use a set of 4" springs and a set of 1" zero rates.

Softest riding lift springs on the market are Tuff Country. I sell them and I'll make you the best deal, otherwise places like www.suspensionconnection.com has great deals as well.

Shackle flip uses stock springs in the rear and can achieve the lift you want without the use of lift blocks. I suggest replacing your spring bushings while you're at it, cheap insurance and will help with flex if you're into that. Lift blocks will work fine as well, especially if you're not going to be using it off road, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, the factory uses blocks. A guy on this site that goes by the screen name "backyardbuilt" has great shackle flips at a great value, I'd highly suggest you check his out before you waste money on the other shackle flips on the market.

Your '84 "Scottsdale 1500" is actually a K10. Scottsdale is a trim level (like Silverado) not a model. When you go to the parts store you own a 1984 Chevy K10 (wow, wonder if I know anyone else that has one of them).

If you have any other specific questions feel free to post up and I'll be glad to answer them. Not sure how you got the wrong idea but I was just trying to inform you that there is a vast amount of information on these subjects.

12. socal chevy

WOW. That was one of the best replies I have ever had, informative, and straight to the point with no BS! Thank you! I have a couple questions...What are Zero Rates? Where do they get installed? Got a pic of them installed?

Id like to have 5" in front and maybe 4" in the rear. (make it level) What size shackle flips are available, and how can I purchase them?... Go ahead and quote me a price with everything I need for a 5"/4" lift kit. Hopefully we can work something out. Thanks agian /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

EEEK... Forgot to ask about the axle, and the rim size (see above post)

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hey , even thopugh you had a rough start, Talk to TIM , 84 chev k10, he will get you dialed in like you wouldnt beleive. Also, he sells all the parts he is describing. Um, i think youll get alot better amswers with Tim here as well,as he is not some guy behind a couter that never owned a 4x4. Not only does he sell the parts, but he uses them, on his own truck,and wheels in competition.Also, i think he is running the same lift you are wanting to run sucessfully. Jacob /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

for zero rates look at http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm or http://www.azkickin.com/standard.htm

For the axle: it could be either a 12 bolt or a 10 bolt... both are about equal in strength.. and you should be ok as long as you dont drive really hard (ie no burnouts... or drag-racing)

As for the rim thing... you probably already have 15" rims on the truck, most 1/2 ton (6 lug) trucks do. It only becomes an issue if you want to upgrade to 3/4 or 1 ton axles (8 lug) and keep the 15" rim size

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as rims a 15" would be fine and with 1/2 ton axles there will be no grinding involved. I would also go with a total of 5" in the rear along with the front. The rear springs like to sag and I would order a complete 4" Tuff country lift from Tim and add 2 pairs of zer rates front and back to give you that 1" of extra lift. A zero rate is like a block which is basically just a spacer between the axle and spring but they are slightly different because they have a center bolt that bolts to the spring itself so you can never spit one out. Another big issue is what your current gear ratio is in both the front and rear 10 bolt axles. With 35's you are going to want 4.56's idealy but the best shot at gears you will have is 3.73 if you are lucky. That is half the reason why so many guys go to heavy duty running gear from a 3/4 ton pickup. 3/4 tons come standard with 4.10 gears and work decent with 35's. But as far as gear ratios, tires, and axle swaps...there is tons of info on this site, just search for it. I would personally stick with a 4" and 33's because you are not going to have a low enough gear ratio stock for 35's without it causing the th700R4 to prematurely fail from the additional stress of tall tires and gears made for 31" tires, while also being a complete dog from stop light to stop light. It is like being in the tallest gear on a 10 speed bicycle, it's hard to get going, you want to choose a lower gear to excellerate quicker on a bicycle and the principle is basically the same in a vehicle.

In Tim's defence, we get the same questions every week basically from new members, which is fine because everyone has to start learning at some point, but these types of questions have been answered literally hundreds of times. I myself have probably responded to 25+ of threads with this exact same question and there is more info than you can read a couple clicks away in the search. But like always we are here to help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Most likely the 10 bolts in an 84 K10 will have 2.73 gears.

2.73, 3.08, 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10 were all available in 1/2 tons that year, with 2.73 the "Standard ratio."

17. socal chevy

So what gear ratio should I get If I run 35's? (Street driving) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So what gear ratio should I get If I run 35's? (Street driving) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Auto OD tranny? 4.56's.

19. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

700R4 - 4.88 or 5.13

John

20. socal chevy

Auto OD tranny? 4.56's.

[/ QUOTE ]

auto w/ OD