Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

84 Steering Column shift linkage loose - how to disassemble?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rich, Dec 3, 2003.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Hey. The stock steering column in my 2WD 84 Chevy truck is messed up - the automatic column shifter linkage INSIDE the column has become so loose I can't shift gears anymore. The external linkage is fine, it's the linkage inside the column that's loose.

I can get an auto column out of a 1981 K5 Blazer 4WD to replace it. Will they interchange - fit physical fit and wiring match up?

I have searched here and found some articles on rebuilding the tilt part of the column, but I can't figure out how to disassemble the the section of the column containing the shifter linkage. I already have my whole column pulled out.

Thanks!!!
    Richard

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: Will 81 and 84 Steering Column Interchange?

It will fit and turn the wheels , but the wiring would be different. 83 and earlier had wipers in the dash, and 84 and up had wipers on the column I believe. My 83 has wipers on the dash for sure. Is the column you have tilt and loose? You can rent the lockplate spring compressor at auto parts store. Then its not that hard to tighten the hidden bolts and restore the column, unless yours was hacked by a thief!

3. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Gotcha - looks like I can't use that 81 column then.

It is not the tilt part of the column that's messed up, it's the auto shifter linkage inside the column. Sorry I wasn't clear in my original post - I have edited it.

I thought about installing a floor shifter for the auto, but I'd really like to go ahead and fix the linkage in the column if I can.

Thanks!
    Richard

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If the shifting needs to be fixed, then you could just transfer your wiring to the new column . Its a PITA if you have never done it , but its cheap. One thing to check though when you are looking for columns : 4 speed auto columns have 4 gear detents OD 3 2 1 and other truks just have D 2 1.