Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'84 w/ 6.2 diesel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, May 7, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

\'84 w/ 6.2 diesel

Ok...I'm getting ready to buy an '84 K5 with the 6.2 Diesel engine. I've never owned a diesel before but I am very familiar with the standard small block chevy. What are some things I should keep an eye out for? What are some common problems that the diesel has? Also it has the 10 bolt rear end, anyone know what gear ratio came standard? Thanks for the help
    Mudfrog

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: \'84 w/ 6.2 diesel

First of all, good choice! A 6.2, if properly maintained, will easily last 500,000 miles. There are good points and bad points to this motor, of course.

PROS- Lots of low end torque and great mileage. My 6.2 gets 21 mpg on the highway(I have overdrive) and around 16 mpg towing a 3000lb load. 6.2's are tough,tough,tough.........and will outlast any gas motor because of the stronger construction and lower RPM range.

CONS- Not as much overall power as a 350. I believe the ouput of a 6.2 is somewhere in the range of 120-140 HP. I have heard about, but never experienced, problems with the Stanadyne injector pumps. For some reason, GM went with a British-made Lucas vacuum pump that costs a bundle should you have to replace it.

I have to add that maintenance is EXTREMELY important. Oil changes have to be done at 4000 mile intervals(more often if towing), and both fuel filters should be changed yearly. Another important item is the air filter which needs to be changed the minute it starts to get dirty. I change my oil every 2000 miles(I do lots of towing), my fuel filters every 10 months or so, and my air filter every 4 months, depending on driving conditions. I also add diesel conditioner to the tank every couple of fills to keep the injection system lubed up and the injectors cleaned. The new low-sulphur diesel fuel dries the components out a lot faster than the old diesel.

Another thing I've found is if you live in a colder climate like me, you may have to plug your truck in if the overnight temperatures drop below freezing. She'll start WAY easier in the morning.........

Well, I think that's about it. I think the factory gearing is 3.73's(that's what mine has).

3. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Yep, yep and yep! I agree with Canmore. Also when the glowplugs go on the fritz you may want to consider a manual glowplug set up. I currently have 170,000 on mine and have only replaced the injector pump. I am told this is common. Also keep a good starter in her. I have been through three of them "good deal" starters and had nothting but problems. The motor has to crank over pretty good to get compression enough to start. Also for emergencies it is a good idea to keep a can of ether in the glove box (if you are in a cold climate) just in case those glow plugs do go on the fritz, because if they don't come on, you may as well start walking!

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If you slap a snorkel on it, you will drown before the motor quits!

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

5. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Just a few points from an old diesel guy:

1. Take care your battery has full power every time.
    (You can't even start it by towing when it's cold)
    2. Change oil and filter every 4000 mls.
    (Go for cheap oil, but remeber EVERY 4000 mls.)
    3. Never, NEVER go at high rpm with a cold engine,
    you'll kill it in 6 month time.
    4. If you use it in low temperature area (14°F or less)
    you might add 5% to 15% gas to the diesel.
    5. Famous diesel owner problem: doubblecheck you are not
    filling diesel into your wife's or hired car.

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG] get fuc.... M-Class out of my way !!! [​IMG]

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Everyone has their own opinion, but I disagree with Balou on the cheap oil thing. Oil is VERY important in a diesel. You've got higher operating temperatures, higher compression, and a way dirtier environment. The better the oil, the cooler and cleaner your motor will stay. In fact, if I could afford it, I'd be running a synthetic in my truck. I've run Castrol and Pennzoil(both 15w40) and the 6.2 seems to prefer the Pennzoil- better pressure and longer life.

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys. Reason I asked about the gears, I bought an '85 scotsdale, put a 5" lift and 35" thornbirds under it, little did I know it had 3.08 gears, so I went through several transmissions in the time I owned it. I knew it wouldn't have the high end output that my old 350 had, but I'm gonna be doing some towing and 4wheeling so the low end torque will come in real handy. Anyway, I have heard some pretty incredible things about the 6.2 but I reckon there's only one way to find out. So I'll let ya'll know when I buy the blazer, it should be in about a week or so.
    Thanks again for the info.

8. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Please don`t use cheap oil. The 6.2 is a prechamber(indirect injected) deisel with compresion @ 21.1. This means she runs a butt load of rings to seal the cylinders.
    It is imperitive that you use ONLY CC\CD grade oils that are not synthetic (to thin). These are designs by Detriot Deisel corp., the true builder of the 6.2.and 6.5.

9. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have an 83 with the 6.2 and 175,000 miles . Alot of good points have been made about this engine . If you take care of it it will last along time . I use stock wheels and tires , taller ones seem to lug it down . It's torquey but by no means a power house . It gets great mileage . I have had to rebuild my injector pump twice do too poor filter changes . One thing to look for is oil pressure after warmup . If it is poor say 20 to 30 psi at full throttle it may need new bearings .

10. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

another thing to be careful of is water. If you are going 4 weelin stay clear of water. your air intake on an 84 is located in the front grill. if you get water in that it goes straight into the motor. It will hydrolock the motor and do alot of damage. ie: replace the whole thing. with 21 to 1 compression, when you hydrolock 2100 lbs of pressure goes somewhere. someone posted to keep eather in the truck, I wouldn't reccomend this. excess use will also hydrolock the motor. If you need starting fluid use WD40 it's alot safer. I hydrolocked my 6.2 going through about 3 ft. of water. I'm now in the process of installing a new 6.2. next step is a snorkel. check this site out if your interested in snorkeling. http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/snorkel

fix'n finally