Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 2.8 starting problems (TURNS OVER BUT WONT START)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by S-10_Falcon, Apr 27, 2006.

1. S-10_Falcon

S-10_Falcon Newbie

I have a .020 over 1985 2.8 v6 with newly rebuilt heads and carb. I also have replaced the module in the distributor and for the past two days my brother and I have been trying everything we know to get it to start. We replaced the battery (that helped alot) and it turns over just fine, it just wont fire:confused:. We have set the TDC for the procedure, and even moved it 180 when that didnt work, but alls we get is a puff up the carb every once in a while:haha:..lol. I'm pretty frustrated, so if anyone could help us it would be a life safer!!!!!!:bow:
    -Could it be the ignition coil/cap/rotor/or wires? or something else maybe?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

is it getting fuel? what about spark? those are the 2 things you need to concentrate on finding before you can get it started.

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

wel checking for spark at the wires would be a good thing for sure

i always use a spare spark plug thats laying around and vice grip it to a metal bracket or something else on the engine and turn it over and see that its sparking blue or white and not orange or red or anything else

if you know its sparking then you know its gotta be fuel system

sounds like its not even trying to fire, so checking for fire would be first good thing to eliminate real quick, and then go to the carb

if it doesnt fire at all on a little gas or starting fluid down the throttle then its not firing or the plugs or something else is really bad, cam not turning ?

is the rotor spinning ?

good luck

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if you are not getting any spark check the pick up coil in the distrbutor with a ohm meter, ir you have to much restance you will not get spark, you also should check you coil and for power to the coil,check for spark then check the rest of these things