Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85, 4 inch lift..driveshaft to short?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sanssocs2, Jul 24, 2001.

1. sanssocs2

sanssocs2 Registered Member

i got my 4 inch superlift put on my 85 k5 and the driveshaft is to short. i had to lower the transfer case on inch for now. mechanic said the one year 85 the drive shaft was 2 inchs shorter.. there is 2 inchs of clean on the yoke. has anyone ran into this problem? should i get a new driveshaft or a junkjard one? or should i get it lengthened?

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I put a 4" on my '84 and its ok. Fing one outta an '84!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a 86. I didn't have to lenthen anything. I did go back about 6 weeks later and dropped the t-case. But I didn't really have too........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i just put a 4in lift on my 85, but i also put a 14bolt FF in at the same time. on the lift the rear drive shaft looks to short but when i put it on the ground it is fine. the front was way to short, had to get a different one for that.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

"i got my 4 inch superlift put on my 85 k5" You let another man put his hands all under your truck!! And then you paid him to do it!! LOL... just messin with you. Anyways I got a 6" on my 85 and I'm still running the stock shaft. I dropped the Tcase though. I wheel the truck often and get it flexed pretty good. So far no problems but I'm planning to get a custom shaft made when I put my 14 bolt in.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!

6. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

I have an 8" superlift on my 85' Jimmy, and I haven't had any problems with my shaft either. I have flexed it alot and it did what it was suppose to.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Did you guys with the 6-8" lifts clearance grind the CV joint in the front shaft?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" on an 85 and didn't have any problems. I dropped the t-case using the factory spacers to help with angles and vibration, too. But I didn't have any problems before I dropped it either.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The front shaft was bound up and wouldn't extend enough after my 4" lift. It would have needed new splines and a new CV so I just ordered a new one. See if there is still enough spline left. I would pass on a junkyard shaft. Either get your's fixed or have a new one made. The 4" lift seems to be transition point, for some the stock shaft works, for others it wont.
    Tim, I had to clearance grind the flats on the CV of my Tom Wood shaft with my 4" lift. Like I said the stock shaft was a couple of in too short so I don't know if it would have needed to be ground.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The only real problem I had was that my factory Y-pipe crosses underneath my front c/v shaft. When I lowered the t-case, the front c/v shaft began to rub the Y-pipe. I had to flatten the Y some in order to clear the dropped c/v shaft.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>