Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 6.2 Is it a good deal?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jacksprat1599, Apr 28, 2005.

1. jacksprat1599

jacksprat1599 Registered Member

Hey fellas,
    I have never posted in the diesel forum before and have never owned a GM diesel but that maybe about to change depending on your replies.I have located an 85 6.2 700r4 4x4 sub w/ a banks turbo and 139000 miles.They are asking $2999 for it.Is this a good deal?Also I currently have an 89 sub that is in my sig.I would like to swap my axles and the 35s onto this diesel if I get it.Would the 4.88s be way too low of a gear for the 6.2 even with the o/d trans?Would this truck with the turbo be comparable to my 89 with the 350.I am really interested in this truck for the milage I have heard the 6.2s get, and I have also been reading about wvo as fuel.Has anyone gone veggie with their 6.2?

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

i Personally think the 6.2 with banks has noticably more power than a stock 350. With 4.88s and true 35" tires you would be turning about 2150rpms at 65. So your combo is good with the diesel. someone correct me if my math is wrong. If its a good clen burb i would say its worth the price.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your math is spot on the money Erik. With the Banks turbo, 35's and the 4.88's i think it'd be a snappy combo, and it would get you near 20 mpg (freeway)if you could keep your foot out of it.

Rene

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If they are asking $2999 there is also no reason you can't offer them $2200 to start and try to talk them down under $2500 :thumb:

5. jacksprat1599

Thanks for the replys guys.20mpg in burb with 35s,I must be dreaming.

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

i used to use a gear calculator but of the ones that were online none of them seemed to put out the same numbers. So now i do it the old fashioned way....i wanted to be an engineer but after taking college algebra twice to get a C i decided i better find something else. After i crunch the numbers again i'm debating my 4.10's and 37" combo. oh well.

But i agree it should be a very nice combo, with plenty of pep. and maybe you can get it for a little less.

7. tRustyK5

i've always just done the math.

speed in mph x gear ratio x final tranny ratio x 336 (for lock -up auto or manual) or 355 (for reg auto)...divided by the tire diameter.

An important thing to remember is that tire height isn't an accurate measurement. To get nit-picky I'll measure tire circumference and divide by pi. That gives me a more accurate tire 'height' while eliminating the perception that the tire is shorter than advertised. My 39.5's measure 38.5" on the truck with 22 psi. Cicumference is 123.5", so the tire height the engine sees is 39.31".

Rene

8. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

math geek :laugh:

9. tRustyK5

Naw...just a regular geek. :tongue1:

Rene

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I would definately buy that, great price, low miles. The turbo kit alone will runn you $2k :o

11. FWP

FWP CRS

I agree, you'd be buying a 6.2/ banks with axles. The Burb is just attached to the parts :laugh:

12. jacksprat1599

Hey fellas,
    I drove to San Angelo from Austin last night to check out this burb.It had decent paint but the interior had seen better days.The stereo was mounted to a peice of plywood in the hole where the factory one was.It was a little misrepresented.I was currious after reading the replys and other info about the banks kit and the performance.My 350 w/ 177k on it would run circles around this thing.The power and acceleration was worse than an old 6.2 N/A that I had driven previously.It started like a champ and idle as smooth as a 6.2 can but had no power.The truck had a straight pipe behind the turbo but I could here no spool up at all, it had an egt guage that never got over 600f.Needless to say,I didn't buy it but if anyone wants it it is on autotrader and located in San Angelo,Tx

13. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

thats a let down.........