Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'85-87 aftermarket grilles..*update*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Sep 9, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

\'85-87 aftermarket grilles..*update*

After looking in the LMC catalog and noticing that they don't sell non OEM 85-87 (or was it 88?) grilles for a 4 headlight setup, I checked into certi-fit (1-800-634-4925) and found that they did in fact have aftermarket replacement grilles.

Since one of their 22 warehouses is local, I checked into it, and had my dad go down while I was at work, to verify that it was a "useable" front grille. To my surprise, he bought it for me, for a whopping $21.

If you have been looking for a grille for any year, but don't want to pay $100+ for one, check into these guys. If you'll notice in LMC's catalog, all the Non-OEM grilles won't take the Chev emblem. This grille I got does.(also has the side vertical stainless trim pieces on it!)

Haven't had a chance to install it yet, and check for proper fit (the tabs are set up right for the lower corner bolts at least, which is one thing that changed from earlier grilles) but maybe I will tonight. Apparently don't bother looking for a web site, they have one, but its about 4 years out of date : )

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: \'85-87 aftermarket grilles..

A local body guy just mentioned using certi-fit for my buddy's one ton dump (abused cemetery truck). Considering the prices for new metal from GM he said the parts (panels, trim, etc.) are super cheap, and fit surprisingly well. He did say they aren't as thick as GM but with proper prep, undercoating insides and bottoms, and a good paint job, they will last a long time (and considering we live in the salt belt, those who don't should not have Any problems). I haven't had any experience myself (yet) with certi-fit, but it is something I will definitely look into in the future. Thanks for the reminder.

3. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

YA Certifit kicks A$$....i went there a few months ago to get a fender for my k5 and ended up gettin both fenders, both wheel wells, both doors, ant all the wheel trim for like $235!!!! The reason they are so cheap is that there are small imperfections in the pieces do to shipping,but it is nothing that wouldn't be fixed in a standard prep job.

Do you think that they have any aftermarket grills such as the "billet" (mexi-chrome) grills that are all horizintal square tubes? I lost my catalogue.

4. dyeager535

First off I'll say that I don't trust the Asian steel makers one bit. I wouldn't contemplate buying the crap I've seen turned out thus far. Too many straight GM body panels still floating around to buy aftermarket stuff IMO.

Anyways, I installed that grille this morning. Apparently certi-fit has a guarantee for fit (thus the name? : ) but I certainly wasn't going to take it back..I'm sure all the grilles were like this:

The pieces that sit under the Chev bowtie (one piece on either side, the center "support" for the bowtie is cast into the grille) wouldn't fit. One side was fine, the other, the little boss it lines up with, was cast too close to center. I ground that boss down, and it fit. About 10-15 minutes with a razor knife.

The vertical stainless pieces on either end wouldn't allow the horizontal stainless/painted piece to bolt flat either. The stainless pieces (2 on each end of the grille) were too close together, and wouldn't let the horizontal piece sit flat. I removed them, moved the mounting screws a bit on them, and bolted it back down.

All in all, it looks better than the old busted one did, and all the mouting holes to the core support lined up. The mounting studs for the turn signal/parking light lenses (also cast into the grille) were a little tight, but the GM ones were cast so good, but with so much tolerance, (everything fit together TOO easy) that they rattled around. The new one puts a little tension on them, and they aren't going to rattle at all.

The cutting I did is not visible once its put together, and the stainless trim not fitting quite right is something you won't notice unless you are two feet away, looking at the grilles edge.

IMO, for the $60 price difference vs GM, the 30 minutes I spent prepping/fixing the grille was worth it. Now I won't feel bad if a stick goes through my grille, I know its only a $20 piece, not an $80 one : )

5. dyeager535

You might want to ask about those..I just called and forgot (d'oh!) to ask them for you.

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with the Asian steel makers part but for some rigs (like my buddy's one ton dump work truck), the added expense for some panels is not worth it. Some of certifit's panels are less than half of what GM wants. As for a nice restoration project, yes GM is the only way to go, but parts are getting fewer, harder to find, and the price seems to keep going up.

I guess it all depends on what type of project you are doing and what the "wallet" will allow. Glad to here yours "worked" for you.

P.S. I bought all original GM for the 80 and there were alignment issues as well (and that was OEM). Just wanted to put that out there so people are aware, but I will say this, OEM is definitely THICKER material.

7. dyeager535

Yeah that is true..I'm not expecting body panels to get dented, (since I'm not going off road that much) so I want stuff to last and not rust out. (plus not bend in half like the aftermarket tailgates)

If I expected dents in fairly short order, but needed to replace a completely shot fender, I'd not pay GM prices, nor buy a used GM one either : )