Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 blazer 6 suspension lift question (newb here)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ilikeitloud, Oct 30, 2003.

1. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

hey all let me start out by sayin whats up...newayz i own a 94pathfinder with a 6inch lift. but the thing is not cuttin off-roading (stuck behind the other k5s)lol thats why i turned to a K5. i found a really clean one with only 30k on the new motor and its stock. my main concern is the lift. i would like to put a 6inch suspension lift and 3inch body with some 36s. but what i was wondering is does anyone know where i can find s 6inch suspension lift for it for a reasonable price. the suspension on the blazer seem MUCH easier to work with/lift then my IFS pathfinder and i only spent 700 to lift it. im assuming that a lift for a blazer is cheaper but where??
    any helps is appreciated
    thanks

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    my main concern is the lift. i would like to put a 6inch suspension lift and 3inch body with some 36s. but what i was wondering is does anyone know where i can find s 6inch suspension lift for it for a reasonable price. the suspension on the blazer seem MUCH easier to work with/lift then my IFS pathfinder and i only spent 700 to lift it. im assuming that a lift for a blazer is cheaper but where??
    any helps is appreciated
    thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah IFS costs bank!

at any rate, you can get 6" BDS front springs for under $100 each from www.jdsoffroad.com. In the rear, I'd do an echobit shackle flip (if they still make em!) and a ORD zero rate.

All of that stuff won't cost you much $... but when u go 6" or more, you're going to need some kind of steering correction and to lengthen your driveshafts too. Any shaft shop should be able to lengthen ur shafts. For steering, you're going to need a raised steering arm...or drop pitman arm... or drop draglink. Sometimes for lots of lift, people use a combo of 2 of those things. The best option (not cheap, but best!) is to go with a complete crossover steering system. I got mine from www.rockstomper.com works great.

btw, you can save urself lots of $ and head aches by going with a smaller amount of lift. I run 39.5s on my 85 that has 5" of suspension lift and 1" of body lift... all you need to do is trim to fenders and you could fit the 36s you want very easily with a 4" lift.

lots of tech floating around ck5 with respect to lifts... i recommend you do some searches... thats the fastest way to build up a good knowledge base about this kinda thing..

j

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have an 85' with a 6" suspension and 3" body. Go with the 9"+36's, that will look sweet and you won't have to hack up your fenders. You probably won't need shafts made, the slip yoke should be OK. I haven't had any problems with my shaft and I'm actually running 7" in the back.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are going to wheel it just stick w/ the 6" lift and pass on the body lift w/ 36s. You will need to trim your fenders, espically if you disconnect the sway bar. Those 36s will be pushing the stock axles to their limit.
    From past posts Tough Country springs seem to be the most popular, followed by Skyjacker and BDS.
    Here is a good place to start shopping www.offroaddesign.com

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Thats what Im planning on doing. 6" w/ 36's on 3/4 ton axles. I just have to decide on what tire width so trimmin stays to a minimum.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

6" lift would need longer shocks and brake hoses and drop down pitman arm, theres probably a good 100 or 125 bucks right there plus i dunno how much for drop down pitman arm right now

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for a cheap place for a Tuff Country lift, try of all places, JC Whitney. I bought mine for under $300, including shipping. Tuff Country lifts are probably the most complete & have the most straight forward directions.

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that with most 6" lifts you'll also need exhaust modifications. The front driveshaft will hit the crossover pipe just in front of the trasfer case if you still have a stock exhaust system.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if ur on a budget, you oughta lurk the FS forums here... there are always peeps unloading old steering parts when they go x-over... or springs/ubolts/blocks/shims etc when they go coils. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j