Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 Blazer Axle Swap Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, Got a few questions for ya! I plan on running 38's on my blazer, and right now I still have the stock 10 bolts under her, so they gotta go! I plan on running the 14bolt d60 combo, My questions are.

The d60 is run in the front right? But it is originaly a rear end correct? I'm not too sure on this, will I have to change steering or will I be able to use my stock setup? Will I have to change my driveshafts? Does it matter what make the d60 is out of? I'd like to not have to change as much as possible. After I swap the axles will my 4 wheel drive still work the same, being able to put it in 4 wheel in the cab? Any info you guys could give me would be great! thanks guys!

Jack

2. 1crzy88

1crzy88 1/2 ton status

well first off if your not going to do any "hard wheeling" then your front 10 bolt would be fine. Maybe change do an 8 lug conversion. i would deffinatly do the 14b rear thought. there cheep and worth the time. to answer your question there are front and rear D60. if you decide to go with the D60 jsut make sure you get a full width chevy axle (passenger drop) and it should bolt right up. The best steering is cross over. but i think (someone correct me if im wrong) but you should be able to use your stock steering. Also if you stick with the 10b you wont have to bother with this. And yes if you change you axles you will have to change the drive lines, but when you put your lift on your going to have to lenghten them anyways. and yes your 4wheel dive will work, just make sure you get your F and R gears them same ratio... Just me .02 hope this helps.

Troy

PS oh and the 8lug converson is so your bolt pattern will match with the 14b.(most are 8lug)
    PPS. im 10" on 37's 10b, 14b and i haven't broken anything yet, but i don't rock crawl.

3. tacomuncher

tacomuncher 1/2 ton status

:D Not to make fun but u have much to learn grasshopper. lol d60 ur gonna need one out of a 1 ton chevy. dodge and fords housings are on the wrong side. the dont start life as rears... however u can come across them in dodges and i think in fords. i run a dodge dana 60 rear wich isn t the strongest but whatever. steering willneed to be changed a drop arm or some kind cross over steering. get some 4x4 mags and do searches and read a lot of info. im not a guroo or anything but maybe this post can help out.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Now don't go taking this post as rude what I think is you need to read some books and mags and the net and get a basic understanding of a four wheel drive system and the differences between axles and such there are many places on the net that explain this well You need to understand the differences between the axles the strengths of each most poeple if they have the money will go with the Dana 60 I ran a 10 bolt front for a while with 38s it was fine don't put a locker up front unless you go with a 60. It is will worth the money to put a crossover steering on your rig whether you go 60 or not the driveshafts may be fine but I believe you will need a new yoke on your rear driveshaft to mate with the 14b they also make conversion u joints Driveshaft length is more dependant on lift size and style. If you buy a 60 there are some huge differences between a 44 a 10b (both of which can be 8 lug ) and a 60 make sure you know what you are getting, alot of poeple think they have a 60 because it is 8 lug but most 8 lug axles are 10bs or 44s. Read this forum alot tons of info on here hope this helps

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Like said up above spend the next three months reading CK5 three hours a day and than start shopping and spending money. Ask many questions even if you get answers like "search" and most likely you will get some solid answers. By all means do use the search option until you can't see straight but ask questions until you have a good understanding of what you are looking for.

Just to get you started in the right direction - look for a a Dana 60 front axle that originally came in a 1977 to 1991 1-ton truck that had single rear wheels ( the dually's had different wheel hubs on the front axles ). Try and get your rear 14 bolt out of a 3/4 ton truck - you can use a 1-ton single rear wheel 14 bolt but you will have to relocate the spring pad perches.
    The front driveshaft should work just fine with your new D60 front end ( assuming you do not lift it over 4" ).

The transfercase will work as it did before the axle swap but you might feel more power depending on what gear ratio you had compared to what you will have with the new axles . Note: front and rear gears must match .

These are not the only options of axles that will fit your Blazer but it is a good beginning point with out too much confusion.

Good luck on your build !

Tom

6. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Great info on this post that I needed. Just to add another question...

87 Jimmy 10b/12b switching out the rear starting tomorrow. I'm picking it up tomorrow, and understand about possibly having to relocate a few things. I haven't seen it yet, but for $50 and the right gearing, figured it's worth it. The one question I have is with the lift and 12b rear, the driveshaft length and angle were fine. Should it be fine as well with the 14b?