Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 Blazer for $1500???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by earlthek5, Nov 5, 2004.

1. earlthek5

earlthek5 Registered Member

I am looking at an 85 blazer and it has a rebuilt 350/edelbrock intake/holley quad/700r4. The only problem is it has some underbody rust. We are in Montana, and my guess is that it is from what we use to keep roads de-iced. Do any of you guys have some underbody rust (on axles and frame rails, etc?) Is this a major issue? Also, the blazer does not smoke, and runs really smooth. Some surface rust on the body, but not much. Deal or Rip?

Thanks

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

what is your definition of "underbody rust" if there are sections of the frame and body flaking off, pass on it. if everything under there is just rusty but still solid, go for it.

3. earlthek5

earlthek5 Registered Member

Well, it is just all a little rusty. No flakes if I remember right. Just surface rust I think. How do you guys go about the nice black underbody? Just paint, or any preperations? Thanks again!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

sandpaper, then POR-15

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i wouldnt even bother with sandpaper if you're going with POR-15, wire brush it to knock the loose stuff off, prep it with their cleaner, and go to town on it.