Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 blazer loose steering.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Firecharger, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Firecharger

Firecharger Registered Member

It's the same problem that everyone else has had with the loose bolts in the tilt mechanism. I already have most of my column torn apart by now. I can see the bottom 2 star bolts that need to be tightened (with loc-tight) but how do I get to the top 2? Here's a pic of where I'm at now. Thanks

100_0164.JPG

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need to tear it apart further. See the threaded pieces on either side, those are the pivot pins and need to come out to get the rest of the column apart.

3. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

there is a special tool to remove those pivot pins, and it's less than $20 at the parts store. get it and use it but pay attention because parts will drop out when you pull that section off.

4. Firecharger

Firecharger Registered Member

Thanks. I tried to pull those pins with a pull hammer from auto zone, but I didn't have any luck getting them out. Instead, I noticed a crack in the casing of that bearing in the tilt area, so I tightened up the bolts I could get to and I plan to replace the whole column sometime later.