Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85' blazer windshield removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Mar 28, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

85\' blazer windshield removal

Ok, I'm cutting out the dash (not much left anyway). I need to remove the windshield. How can I do it without cracking it?
    Any tricks? I don't want to pay a windshield shop to remove and install it but I will If I'm just going to mess it up doing it myself.
    Juan

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: 85\' blazer windshield removal

Good luck. Its really hard to get them out in one piece. Putting them back in is alot easier. I have never done it, but I have watched a few guys do it. BTW did you get my PMs. The second one had a lower price because I figures out what you were talking about. Let me know if you think thats too high and we can work out a deal. PM me.

3. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

I've HEARD you just pop off the little 1" strip located on the outside center trim of the gasket. Then remove the center piece of the gasket by pulling it away. Carefully work/push the glass loose from inside and it should just come out. Install is reverse. If someone has removed the windshield before and/or used pookie to seal it up, its a lot tougher.....have to cut the sealant from the glass and I think it tears up the gasket.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Predator nailed it (good write up)
    That’s the way I did it but if you can do it on a warm day so the rubber is a little more flexible and good luck

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

18 year old rubber gasket is going to be mighty hard......Cut the gasket and get a new one. Dont risk the glass for a dried out gasket.

6. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

well the windshield has been replaced before (like last year) I'm guessing the gasket is still ok. I called a local windshield place and they said they never reinstall one they remove. He said that usually it will break. I have no deductible for glass so I figure I'll try and If (more like when) I mess up I'll get it fixed.
    Thanks to all.
    Juan

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just make sure to take your time, and be careful. If its already cracked or chipped, I wouldn't consider it even possible to remove without total failure : )

I agree though, if its been glued in there (I think they pretty much have to anymore) it's probably going to be real hard to remove.

I did my side windows, and I think the gasket setup is the same. I got it started from the inside, and probably should have used a popsicle stick instead of the flatblade screwdriver I had, but you use whats available. It wasn't difficult. But the side windows aren't nearly as large, and don't have that kind of "bend" to them.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey man, call me, I'll help you, we'll get it out in one piece. I pulled the old one out of my yellow, it's not that hard.

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
    I pulled the little retainer stuff. and then slowly pushed the windshield. It came out perfect. Its all in one piece and I just finished chopping out the dash.
    Is it easy to reinstall the windshield. I hope it does because it came out really easy. Good Gawd it's a wiring nightmare under there. I guess I'll have to run zero guages for now only for a couple weeks though.
    Thanks to all again.
    Juan

10. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Windshield is now installed. Luckily I did not chip or crack it and it is now in the truck. Also, I cut off the dash (I used some metal snips and a cut off wheel. I have taken some photos and will have them up asap.
    Juan

11. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I took mine out in 45 seconds and put it back in about 45 min