Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'85 El Camino...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by jekbrown, Oct 24, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my wife really likes El Caminos. I found a '85 SS that seems really nice. Power everything, 4 bbl, 305, automatic (700R4? says it has OD...), VERY nice paint/tires/wheels... interior doesn't have a single rip/tear in the apolstery or crack in the dash (all original). Has spray in bedliner, recent professional paint job, new brakes, 10b rear end with posi etc. Lady says it gets 16+ mpg if you don't hammer down and has been a reliable daily driver. Sounds really nice. Not sure if the price is outrageous or not ($3999 obo)... but its a nice car. Anyone ever owned one of these or have any thoughts on them or the price?? I've never really been into ECs, so I don't know jack about them, lol!

j

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I like that body style . I don't know about the 700r4 , would of thought 200_4R .

http://www.necoa.org/ good place to visit

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

85 will have the 200r4. Same tranny they put in the 85 Monte Carlo. I had a 85 Monte Carlo, and currently own a 78 El Camino. They are basicly the same car. I gave three grand for my 78 needing minor stuff like a battery, carb needs rebuilt/replaced, window wiring, ...ect. , so that is not a bad price at all as long as the body is good and it runs. I'd buy it before it's sold. El Camino's are becoming collector cars. I see stock 80's El Camino's in mint contition (100% factory stock) going for over ten grand. 78 to 87 are the same body. Minor differences are in the headlights/grill. My 78. [​IMG]

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, this one is totally stock except the radio and exhaust and from what I can tell is in dang near mint condition. It was re-painted the factory color a couple of years ago at a dealership (cha-ching cha-ching!)... the close-up detail pics she sent says the body/paint is flawless. She says it doesn't leak a drop of any fluid, runs great. Good to know that its a 200R4... whats the deal with them, ok tranny? Ive never had one. She said it has a 10 bolt rear with posi. Is that the same 10b that K5s have? different spring spacing I would think. Anyway, looks like a great car... and my wife likes it. Kelly Blue Book says $3499-ish for it though... and the lady wants $3999. Prolly cause its in such great shape I guess. Hmmmm...

I'm not a big fan of the 305 V8. Had one in my k5... not the best v8 ever. I guess a 350 would swap right in if the 305 died on me though.

j

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The 305 actually runs pretty well for a stoplight to stoplight car in those . I had a 78 Monte Carlo that moved well with one . And my buddies 305 ( well 310 ) would light em up too .

You can do a lot external mods that will simply transfer to a new motor later . run it while you get another motor together :D

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had a 200r4 in the 85 Monte Carlo for 3 years with no trouble what so ever. My 78 El Camino has a 305 with a gummed up 2bbl carb and it'll lite the rear tires up. If you and your wife just want a nice looking El Camino, not a hot hod, nothing wrong with the 305. It dosn't weigh anywhere near what I K5 weighs in at. Heck, even the 4.3 V6 does pretty good for a dailly driver in that bodystyle of El Camino and Monte Carlo. Check out www.necoa.org it a El Camino web site with forums.

7. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

I tell ya, that 305 in a car is a WHOLE different beast. I could light the tires in my grandma's '77 Nova 305 with a 2 barrel, stock. With a aluminum intake and headers and dual exhaust I bet it could have run high to mid 14's with some practice. It kicked down 17 to the gallon. It was quick

the architecture of the Elky will be about the same as that Nova, so I doubt you can go wrong. it's a cool 80's body style and I've seen some nice ones with big wheels and lowered runnign around, plus it's got the utility of a truck

go for it!