Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 GMC Jimmy back firing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GloNDark, Sep 4, 2002.

1. GloNDark

GloNDark Registered Member

Well I put a different exhaust on my 85 jimmy, and now it backfires like a MO FO! Runs great until you let off the gas....and then poof poof poof BANG!!! :O What a noise.

Could an exhaust leak cause this? The timing is right on, the carb seems to be in good adjustment. But I noticed an exhaust leak where the exhaust manifold meets the exhaust pipe.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, my car would do that when I had a fairly bad leak at the manifold/exhaust pipe mating surface. ONLY when I let off the gas quickly though of course.

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I have a problem with this, I'm gonna get rid of the glasspacks and weld up a few holes that are in the headers. I think its a backpressure issue with mine.

4. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

had the same problem, found i was missing the last manifold bolts on each side of the the engine! After putting in the bolts and tightening up the problem stopped, but started again in a few days - bolts loosened up again. expect i will have to put in new gaskets and put in new bolts all that way around, but seems like that may be a good place for you to have a look! LOL /forums/images/icons/cool.gif