Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 gmc k30 "fix up"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83PJW, Dec 3, 2006.

1. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

First of all it is nice to be back, I last visited 10/4/2004 :eek1: . Long story short I moved home from the military and sold all my 4x4's. One day I was driving down I-81 and spotted my old k30 (that I built). I did the fastest U turn ever and caught up to the guy driving it (he thought I was nuts for going through the median!) ha Anyway offered to buy her back and he agreed!!! Ok so here is where I am starting... He sort of left her go to the crapper (no preventive maintenance). Plus a few other things that I need to figure out...
    1) 454 engine has no snap... (I know it is not supposed to be snappy, after all it is a big block, but lets just preted I had a few bucks in my pocket and this was my goal. (no super charger suggestions please) haha
    2) fuel system acting screwy... sometimes it will switch tanks and sometimes no... I have changed the dash switch, but I can't figure out where the second switch is under the cab. what else could I check.
    3) here is the big one... Driving to hunting camp the other day, about 50 miles into the trip she loses power. I mean the amperage was fine, radio and everything working just fine but no power (almost a lack of fuel issue). I would slow her down to about 35 for a minute or 2 and she would power right back up for about another 5 minutes and do it all over again. I switched tanks and she still did it. I have a new fuel pump (electronic) new fule line from the pump to the carb. Where should I start looking first? Ok guys this shouls be enough for now so hook a brother up...

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

is it carbed or efi?

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm going with ignition module.

Full specs on the truck would be very helpful

4. Confedneck79K30

roger that, i figgered if its FI, maybe a FP relay and if carbed, a possible ignition issue..

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I guess one thing he needs to check is fuel pressure by hooking a gauge to it and drive around until it acts up to see if he is in fact having a fuel delivery issue.

I used to get the strangest looks driving around with a pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge taped to my windshield with hoses running up from the hood.

6. Confedneck79K30

get even stranger looks from the fire marshall when the hose on the fp gauge gets rubbed through on the hood and catches fire LOL, but then, maybe your truck doesnt have the rust mine does LOL

7. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Welcome back!
    About your fuel system, have you changed your fuel filter? For your under cab fuel switch. Trace your fuel lines coming out of your tanks they both lead an adjoining valve/switch, then run along your framerail up to the engine. Hope this helps.