Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 K-10 w/washer elect. prob. Long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TJS, Jan 24, 2005.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Kinda hard to explain. My washer pump does not work when I turn the stalk on the column. So I checked the wires at the washer pump with the test light. Without anything on except the key on, I get power all the time to the white and pinkw/dark stripe wire at the pump ???. This did work last year. I then had a buddy turn the stalk for the washer on (wipers operate as supposed to) then the test light did really nothing (stayed on no change in dimness or brightness). I then disconnected the wires at the pump. Check them again with test light. Only the pinkw/darkstripe one is hot all the time with the washer switch off?? With the test light just connected to the pinkw/darkstripe wire (unplugged from the pump)and the switch tuned on: the test light will go dark. When I return the washer switch to the off positon the pink/wdarkstripe wire gets power again. The white one is o.k. So Now I know the pump was backfeeding. So then I jumper wired the pump to +12 and ground on the pump terminals. Pump is shot of course. This however still does not explain the wacky +12 on the pink wire all the time. I have a new wiper motor with a new "cover" as well, which I have not put on yet. Does this sound like the cover is shot supplying voltage to that wire all the time. I have a book somewhere of a diagram but cannont find it. Could it also be the wiper switch (the one inside the column) sending power all the time. Thanks.
    T.J.

2. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

??

Im not by any means a pro at electrical stuff, but sometimes things are wired so there so they have power going to them all the time, once you hit the switch it completes the circuit and turns it on, so in your case the washer moter has power all the time and the washer switch completes the circuit to ground.